97 Chevy Steering wheel upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
WOW! You have been doing the research! I'm not a fan of the newer steering wheels, but I like the path your taking

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, typically that's how it goes for me I get an idea or thought in my head and just obsess over it until I find a way. I think that with this conversion I can also use the later model Chevy/GM truck wheels too. I just don't think that the Grant style wheels look right with the bulky square columns that the trucks have and I wanted something custom instead of stock, something smaller but with a little bulk. Really if you look at aftermarket parts they don't even have any options for these year trucks, I know that some will work but they don't catalog them. Most likely due to airbags, but maybe this will show people that they're not stuck with stock.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like the track that you are on with this. I haven't been a fan of others cutting splines or hubs from another wheel.

I've put some thought into cutting splines or hubs and the thought of them breaking or warping from welding has kept me from it. It'd probably be easier but I think this way will be much much safer.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I really like the track that you are on with this. I haven't been a fan of others cutting splines or hubs from another wheel.

x2.

I did a ton of research a while back on how to swap a Vette steering wheel in S-series pickups, it's a very similar process. I've seen people grind down the splines and force the new steering wheel on, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it.
Nice to see you're doing you're research and doing it correctly, I'm ready to see the outcome!

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how this works out, my steering wheel is rough and the search for a good one is not going the direction I would like it to.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started tearing down the column. It went much easier than I anticipated. Got the shaft out. Just have to wait patiently for the replacement.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a little tool I built to pull the pivot bushings

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the truck.. I've got a cowl hood for it and a rear roll pan is the next project after the steering :)

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Donor column came in today

Success!..the splines anyways

This part was tricky. You have to angle the forks just right so that they mate together

It all fits! Bearings and all. This is as far as I got before darkness came.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Looks good. Interested in seeing the final product. I was able to get a pin pulling tool at a oreillys for about $6 iirc. Looks like your tool did good