97 Chevy Steering wheel upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just purchased a nice 97 extended cab Silverado step side. I've wanted one of these for years. It's really clean inside and out but the steering wheel is really crummy.

Air Bag aside, I wonder what steering wheels will fit on the columns splines? I know that GM has always had many different models that could swap wheels.

I do not want to use the same type wheel that the truck originally came with, 1 they're hard to find in good shape in the right color, 2 its ugly and a bit over sized for my taste.

Here's what I've been looking at, I think they will look nice with the dash layout of these trucks, shouldn't look odd against the column like a non air bag wheel would.

c6 Corvette Steering wheel, I like this because it has a simple knob layout on it.. just normal radio controls. I've read in this forum about how the 99-02 Denali clock springs could be retrofitted to the 95-98 so there may even be a possibility to make these controls work as well.. with enough ingenuity maybe..
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a Cobalt Steering wheel and from what I understand it's the SAME as the c6 above except for the emblem and switches.. There's quite a bit of price difference which is interesting! These wheels were used in Malibu's, Pontiac G5 and G6, Solstice and a few other cars you can pick them up cheap.

This is the wheel from a mid 2005 Silverado. I think it would look great as well. So far most of these in good shape are pretty costly.

I've searched the net quite a bit, and I cant find anyone who has done a later model wheel swap on the 95-98 trucks.. or even the 99-02s are these so much different than the rest that a swap isn't possible?

How many splines does the 97 column have vs what seems like the majority of the rest of GM cars have? lol

Again, keeping the airbag active is not a great concern for me regarding this.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well.. like I was afraid of, no real answers so far.. And searching has done nothing but given me a headache.. I've seen in a few pictures and posts where someone has put the Grant style non airbag wheels on their rides no explanation of adapters and such. I have a hard time accepting that the splines are not the same. I think its mostly just Taboo not to change air-bagged wheels out. You know, safety and all.. So I pulled the trigger and bought a Corvette wheel with audio controls AND shift paddles. To make it more "Silverado like" I will use a Cobalt airbag/horn insert with the gold Bowtie.

If worst comes to worst, and they don't fit, I'll just re-sell them as a package. There's always the option of knocking the dust off the mig welder..

I plan on a 6.0 LS swap later in this trucks future along with an 4l80e so the shift paddles can be fun one day. :)

The wheel I purchased, it's ebony with blue stitching, (my interior is blue/gray)

The air bag/horn I purchased is black, they have gray ones as well but they look a bit too light in color for my truck

Once they arrive and I get a chance to Frankenstein it all together I will post the results here to hopefully help someone else out.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No dice for a simple swap... The splines are different and smaller. I've read where people have been able to swap the upper steering column shafts from a later model and make it work. GM Part number 26074286 is the shaft needed. This is confirmed in F-body installs and S-10s so far according to the net... Apparently GM used the same upper shafts for many different models and they interchange. I hope to find one and try it out. Fingers crossed that it works.. It does look good in there. :)

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I have researched this is what our trucks have in the column gm part number 26064247. This thing fits many different vehicles.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the 26074286 shaft. At first glance, they look similar bearing areas would be most important aside from the splines.. They're also pricey at around $150.00 They show to be in the Chevy 1500 Express Vans, Buick Lasabres, C6 Vettes and GMC Savanas to name a few.. I can probably find an entire steering column to salvage one from for what the going rate is on just the shaft.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More info:

GM 26064247 shaft will interchange with these vehicles.

1997-2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
1997-2001 Chevrolet Venture
2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
1997-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
1997-2001 Pontiac Montana
1997-2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
1997-2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette
1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
1997-2000 Buick Park Ave
1997-2005 Buick Century
1995-2002 Chevy/GMC Full Size Trucks
1998-2005 Chevy Astro/GMC Safari
1996-2002 Chevy/GMC Full Size Vans
1995-2005 Chevy S10/Blazer-GMC S15/Sonoma/Jimmy

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the shaft needed thanks to a 01-05 Buick Park Ave steering column. Got the whole column for less than a 50 bucks.. The shaft alone is priced $150+ When this thing comes in I will dismantle it and if all goes like what I've researched it should be a direct swap into my column!

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I scored a 2007-2013 c6 Corvette clock spring very cheap. If I can retrofit it to my column I will be able to use all of the steering wheel functions, paddle shift, radio controls ect and most likely with some research the airbag... honestly I don't care about the bag.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like the track that you are on with this. I haven't been a fan of others cutting splines or hubs from another wheel.