97 Chevy K3500 7.4L EGR Valve Code P1406

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to dust off and try out my Innova 3130c scan tool.
First thing is I get a code P1406. EGER Valve. It tells me to check for a clogged EGR valve and clogged manifold passages.

Is this something where I can clean the EGR valve or is it primarily a replacement?
I see prices all over the place for the valve. What to get if I need to replace?
Go with Delco and pay $200?

Thanks for any advice.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It can be cleaned. I did one for my Saturn. I used oven cleaner. It''l take quite a bit of scrubbing, because the carbon will be stubborn.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so looking for a new EGR valve and I am finding several part numbers for a Delco.
Do they all fit and work ok or is there something I need to know to narrow it down to a correct one?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the correct one for your application. There's a hundred part numbers, and ninety-nine are wrong.

Better yet, clean and test the one you have, and clean the passages in the manifold.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, that's kind of the point. I put in the specs for the truck and get a number of different options for the EGR.
Delco alone seems to have a number of part numbers that all show as "fits your vehicle/engine". Not to mention prices are all over the place!
One particular Delco part number ranges from $55 to $240 depending where you look.
I ordered one and we'll just have to see how it goes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are you looking for part numbers?

According to Wholesale GM Parts Online there's only one for your application, part number 19240984.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14520&modelYear=1997&ukey_category=19400

That's the OEM part for your truck, any of the cheaper options are almost certainly aftermarket or lower tier ACDelco parts.
Summit lists that one as "ACDelco gold" and also list two other ACDelco EGR valves.
The one I went with is the ACDelco GM Original Equipment 214-5595 EGR Valve

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you go to ACDelco.com , and input your vin. For some it will be easier rather than trying to drill down " has this, not this, unless it has this and this, but not that". Using the vin identifies that particular specific truck by serial number, not a generic this bunch takes this or that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would trust Summit when it comes to accurate listings. There was another thread recently where it was discovered that their product description on some EBC brake pads was advertising a GG friction code when the pads in question were actually EE code. When I'm searching for OEM parts I always look at Wholesale GM Parts Online or GM Parts Direct. For hard to find discontinued part numbers, Nemiga Parts Chevrolet.

FWIW, the 214-5595 you got is on Amazon. There's a review on there from someone who said it fit and worked on a '95 Suburban. Which is a little concerning IMO because the 19240984 I linked to looks like it's for '96-'98 7.4Ls according to the description. Hopefully what you got works, but I'm thinking it might be for the earlier trucks.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I checked on one Gm parts site and did the VIN and found that 214-5595 replaces GM 12578038 which shows to fit.
This one may just be the "standard" oem replacement while the other number is the "gold" version.