97 Chevy k1500 5.7L running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its had 2 previous owners. Both of which maintained it very well. It had a brand new motor put in it, it's got about 5k miles on it. Shorty headers, dual exhaust.

I just cleaned the maf sensor and that helped A LOT. Still idling kinda rough and jerking when driving. And I forgot to mention that it is throwing codes. An maf sensor code, 2 o2 sensor codes and a cam/crank shaft position correlation code.

Is that a P1345 on the CMP/CKP correlation? Usually that comes along after a distributor replacement, you’d need a scanner to set the offset correctly. You can download an app (DashCommand or CarGaugePro) and use a Bluetooth adapter to read it, but lately a lot of people are having trouble getting those apps to work, particularly on 96-97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understood, it's just that the engine already has 4 intake valves per head.
Yeah, probably would have been more helpful to use proper nomenclature, I see how my words could actually be more confusing than less.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Savanah23

Reaction score
I just checked my pcv valve and it is freaking filthy. Gonna go get a replacement valve and hose and see what happens.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Can you check the readings from the MAF at hot idle? It'll be g/cc or something like that. You may also have frequency in hertz.

Try unplugging the MAF and see if the truck runs better.

That's the CMP retard as I think someone else mentioned.

P0141, P0161

O2 heater circuits on a couple of the O2 sensors.

Savanah23

Reaction score
Pull and check the EGR valve for carbon holding the pintle off the seat.
I just bought some techron fuel cleaner and throttle body cleaner, gonna see what happens. I've got a feeling it needs it. After replacing the pcv valve, cleaning the maf and resetting the codes. She's running a lot better. Still a hard start and kinda rough idle and slight hesitation. It cleared all the codes I had but one which is the p1345 regarding the cam/crank sensor position correlation. And it popped up with a new code regarding the air bag. And my air bag light is lit up on my dash as well.