97 Chevy C1500 Light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bm1912

Reaction score
So, I don’t know if it’s a fuse or relay or what. I thought it was the headlight switch so I got a new one but no change. My day time running lights don’t work, my brake lights don’t work and my lows don’t work. But my brights and turn signals do work. Where do I start? I’m checking the fuses tonight when I get off work. But if that doesn’t work I’d like the next step

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your talking about 2 or 3 different systems. You can have low beams and not DRLs. The DRLs are controlled by a box under the dash. The low beams, you need to trace back the wires untill you find power. Without low beams, chances are you wont have DRLs. As for running lights, they are on a separate wire. Since you have a new headlight switch, this should be good. So is there power to the switch? Do you have a test light? If no, go buy one, there cheap. It may be as simple as a fuze, or as complex as shorted wires. A test light will be a huge help in finding the issue. Also of you have no running lights, do you have lights in the dash? This is on the same system as your running lights, more or less.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look for a bad ground. there several. look at a wiring diagram.. theres one on the rear of the truck on the frame. several others. i

Bm1912

Reaction score
Your talking about 2 or 3 different systems. You can have low beams and not DRLs. The DRLs are controlled by a box under the dash. The low beams, you need to trace back the wires untill you find power. Without low beams, chances are you wont have DRLs. As for running lights, they are on a separate wire. Since you have a new headlight switch, this should be good. So is there power to the switch? Do you have a test light? If no, go buy one, there cheap. It may be as simple as a fuze, or as complex as shorted wires. A test light will be a huge help in finding the issue. Also of you have no running lights, do you have lights in the dash? This is on the same system as your running lights, more or less.
I checked all the fuses inside and out and two are not working even with new fuses. They are fuses 8 and 14 which is crank and illum. Which could be the problem how would I go about checking this?

Bm1912

Reaction score
look for a bad ground. there several. look at a wiring diagram.. theres one on the rear of the truck on the frame. several others. i
I actually put a body lift on the truck and had to relocate the rear ground. Where are the other grounds located.

Bm1912

Reaction score
I guess I should also point out I paid a guy to do an LS swap on this truck and he went missing before he ever finished so I have been trying to fix this whole mess since I got it back. When I got it the wires were a mess and I had to finish wiring up the computer. So it very well could be grounds, the instrument cluster also doesn’t work except the RPMs gauge. But I assume that’s a whole other problem I’m going to have to figure out

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I checked all the fuses inside and out and two are not working even with new fuses. They are fuses 8 and 14 which is crank and illum. Which could be the problem how would I go about checking this?
Pull the fuzes, and check the little prongs where the fuze plugs into. One side should have power, with the key on. If not, then you will need to tie into the supply side of this prong, and then to a new source of power. to figure the supply side, just look at the fuzes next to what your checking. Keep this in mind, one side of the fuze connector is the power supply side, and the other side is going to whatever ( EG, lights, turn sigs, whatever).

Bm1912

Reaction score
Okay so i did that by adding a wire to the two fuses and connecting it and it did fix my running lights and my brake lights come on now.

Bm1912

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I know this probably is not safe but I can not figure out how to get behind the fuse box to add the power wire to the fuse