97 chevy 5.0 vortec swap with 98 gmc suburban 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1997 chevy k 1500 4wheel drive. I have the original 5.0 and transmission pulled out. I have a 1998 gmc suburban with the 5.7 vortec. I want too drop the suburban motor and transmission into my chevy but I don't know anything about the computer work? Would it all plug right into the original wiring and run after hooked up?

leegrady

Reaction score
1996 to 1998 GM truck 5.0's and 5.7's are the same engine schematics. All the connectors on the '97 5.0 should be the same as that on the '98 5.7.

However, the the two pcm's will have different parameters.

So run the '98 5.7 pcm. But, yet again, however, (dang) the differentials ratio of the two trucks my be different, and this will cause improper transmission shift points. If they are different then the 5.7 pcm will need to be flashed.

Do the two trucks have the same size diameter factory tires?

Also, MAF sensors are calibrated to specific pcm's so run the 5.7 MAF.

And check that the crankshaft position sensor reluctor wheels are the same. If they are different run the 5.7 reluctor.

Something else to check too is the transmission output shaft, and output shaft extension housing may be of different length.

You must be registered for see images

http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp6104.pdf

Link above provides torque specs, and engine specs.

Keep us posted on your progress.

-lee

Bombader

Reaction score
It should plug into all the original wiring and work fine mine did I'm running a 99 5.7 liter out of an Escalade in my 97 C1500 it was also originally a 5.0 like yours. The only thing I had to change was one little piece on the intake manifold I think it's part of the evaporative emission system, but it swapped over just fine.