'97 C1500 Interior Door Handle Stopped Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're gonna replace it, replace it with the '88 to '94 handles. They're identical to the '95 to '98 ones, except they're made out of actual metal. They don't break as easily.
Interior door handles are the subject here and the 95-up are totally different as is the panel. :)

If you meant the exterior door handles, yeah, the 88-94 will fit most 95 doors and some 96, etc. but the newer the door the less likely they will fit. The lock pawl is also incorrect on the older handles. The newer door shells have a larger opening for the handle and the gap is taken up by a larger plastic 'gasket' of sorts which is attached to the handle. I've had some people argue this with me but I had a bunch handy to compare and took pics.. it was difficult for me to believe and I still don't understand why GM did it.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interior door handles are the subject here and the 95-up are totally different as is the panel. :)

I was sitting here comparing them side by side in different tabs thinking "there is no way that's going to work." :lol: Glad I'm not going crazy.

That's interesting about the exterior handles, though. Once again I have no issues with those, at least the actual GM ones. My original exterior handles are still in great shape on the red truck. Three of the five are still good on the Suburban. The only reason I had to replace the front two is because someone smashed the originals out with a pry bar, and the Dorman replacements broke within months. I replaced those with legit GM parts 12-13 years ago and they're still doing great.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the exterior handle thing is weird. I had noticed a lot of the newer models had broken exterior handles right near the lock. At first I thought it was theft attempt damage, but the more of them I looked at, it just seemed unlikely; the common theft attempt goes under the handle and screws up the door sheetmetal. The handles just didn't seem to fit as well and felt flimsy; I think this is due to the larger plastic bezel around them which allows it to flex and move and eventually break.

Richard

Derekfloyd02

Reaction score
Cool. I may hold off ordering another handle until it gets looked at then considering they're $60 each for genuine GM. Then again, I may not. :lol: The truck and the Suburban both use the grey version, so it might be a good spare part to have on the pile even if I don't need it right now.
About $15 at auto zone. Had this happen to both of them in my 97, just replaced them

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My exterior handles are fine, and I'm pretty sure they're made of metal. I did have an interior handle break, and I replaced it with an aftermarket part. I think it was a Dorman. I don't recall seeing any significant difference between it and the original... except it wasn't broken!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
About $15 at auto zone. Had this happen to both of them in my 97, just replaced them

We covered that earlier in the thread, thanks though. Like I said, I prefer to pay the premium for legit GM parts. My replacement showed up yesterday, looks great.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The have not noticed a different between the chrome handle and regular gray handle. The chrome ones in my 98 are holding up well (Dorman's), but so are my 97's which I think has been replaced, but it's just the regular gray handle. I plan on putting chrome handles in them, just because I like chrome. :p

Speaking of exterior handles, my 97's exterior door handle just broke above the lock a few days ago lol. I will probably super glue it sometime. I don't know why GM thought it was a good idea to put a metal handle in a plastic bezel.

That seems to be where they break, my 98 did the same thing. Replaced with a super cheap Amazon one, didn't like it, it had a crack less than a year later. Then got one from 1A Auto and was so much better, plus it was all metal, now it will never break! I highly recommend 1A Auto's products, such good quality at a lower cost.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so the chrome 1aauto ones are supposed to be the good ones? I just busted the one on the drivers side and the passenger one isnt great, I plan on giving them a try especially when the AC Delcos are $67 apiece.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what my broken passenger-side exterior door handle looks like. It's definitely the plastic that gave up. I've got a new OEM one that I need to get around to installing.

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Ok so the chrome 1aauto ones are supposed to be the good ones? I just busted the one on the drivers side and the passenger one isnt great, I plan on giving them a try especially when the AC Delcos are $67 apiece.
I was talking about the exterior handles. The regular black ones are great, all metal, no plastic. They do sell interior handles too. Very good place to shop at for parts.