'97 C1500 4L60E to 4L80E Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was going back through this thread in order to answer questions for someone else regarding -6AN lines and adapters, and I realized that for some reason I never typed in the part number for the Vibrant Performance 5/8"-18 inverted flare to -6AN adapters that I used for the radiator transmission cooler fittings. It's 16436.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-16436

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After a close inspection there are a few places that the hose routing for my transmission cooling concerns me. To prevent the abrasive braided hoses from doing damage to anything around them I ordered some of these Parker hose shields. I knew I should have ordered some hose sleeves when I started this... Oh well though. These shields can be installed anywhere they're necessary with just a few zip ties. They're available in four, six, or eight inch lengths.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/hose-protection-shields

I'll let everyone know what I think of them when they show up, ordered a 10 pack of the four inch ones on eBay for around $30.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a close inspection there are a few places that the hose routing for my transmission cooling concerns me. To prevent the abrasive braided hoses from doing damage to anything around them I ordered some of these Parker hose shields. I knew I should have ordered some hose sleeves when I started this... Oh well though. These shields can be installed anywhere they're necessary with just a few zip ties. They're available in four, six, or eight inch lengths.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/hose-protection-shields

I'll let everyone know what I think of them when they show up, ordered a 10 pack of the four inch ones on eBay for around $30.
I just used heater line hose split length wide. Little less refined, but works.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just realized that I never linked to the Sloppy Mechanics 4L80E Wiki page anywhere in this thread...

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

There's a ton of helpful info on this page regarding 4L80Es and swapping them into 4L60E equipped vehicles. It's LS oriented but I got a ton of information from here for my swap. If you haven't checked out Sloppy Mechanics on YouTube I'd strongly recommend it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's been a while but do you remember much hose you ended up using? Would be awesome if you knew how long each run was; trans to rad, rad to cooler, cooler to trans

Nope, sorry! I know my mechanic used around half of that roll total.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey it's something. Thanks man
Can't you use the original 4L60e lines? What year is your 4L80e? The early 80e have the connections similar to the 60e. There's enough flexibility in the lines that they went into my 95 4L80e swap with no modification.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Can't you use the original 4L60e lines? What year is your 4L80e? The early 80e have the connections similar to the 60e. There's enough flexibility in the lines that they went into my 95 4L80e swap with no modification.
Not doing an 80e swap. Just got a spare 60e to install behind the 350 I'm building, and I'm looking into what I'll need for braided trans cooler lines. Probably gonna do my oil cooler lines at the same time

29.) Russell 670153 1/2" NPT to -6AN adapters (X2, $26)
These were for the factory rad..
30.) Vibrant Performance 5/8-18 inverted flare to -6AN adapters (X2, $12)
..and these were for your particular aftermarket trans cooler right?

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
@stutaeng Was looking into an 80e swap, but the only one in my area I could find that was the year I wanted was under a 3/4 ton 6.5 plow truck that rolled into the garage I work at lol.

Was really tempted to ask the guy how much he'd want for it. Woulda gotten a 14 bolt rear end from her too. Got that 4l60e for a steal though and I'm not gonna be making insane numbers with that 350 so :shrug: