'97 C1500 4.3L V6 Oil Dipstick Tube Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the title states, I'm looking for a part number for the engine oil dipstick tube seal for my '97 C1500 with the V6. My dipstick tube has broken where it bolts to the side of the engine so I ordered a new one. Unfortunately the seal I ordered with it at the recommendation of GM (both GM Parts Direct and my local dealership) seems to be wrong. I ordered GM Part number 12593348, which is waaaay too big. Standard Bic lighter in the picture for scale.

You must be registered for see images

Does anyone know the correct part?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the title states, I'm looking for a part number for the engine oil dipstick tube seal for my '97 C1500 with the V6. My dipstick tube has broken where it bolts to the side of the engine so I ordered a new one. Unfortunately the seal I ordered with it at the recommendation of GM (both GM Parts Direct and my local dealership) seems to be wrong. I ordered GM Part number 12593348, which is waaaay too big. Standard Bic lighter in the picture for scale.

That is for your oil-fill cap

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Came up with GM OEM 274244 Engine Oil Dipstick Tube Seal

I can't find anything concrete, but it looks like a good chance that's it.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the dipstick in to any parts store. Look at the assortment, should be behind the counter usually in a red box no matter what store it is, and find an oring that fits the dipstick tube. Get 2 just in case. Will not cost much more then a buck if that at most places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is for your oil-fill cap

Yup, it cross references to oil fill caps for a couple different vehicles I have so I'm keeping it and tossing it in one of the parts piles. Never know, might need it one of these days.

Came up with GM OEM 274244 Engine Oil Dipstick Tube Seal

I can't find anything concrete, but it looks like a good chance that's it.

Nice, ordered one. Thanks! Hopefully that's it.

Just out of curiosity, what was your source? I'm normally pretty good at finding parts online but this one proved to be a challenge. The only way I found anything related was plugging that number you gave me and the key word "C1500" into Google, and even that only yielded a couple of eBay listings.

Take the dipstick in to any parts store. Look at the assortment, should be behind the counter usually in a red box no matter what store it is, and find an oring that fits the dipstick tube. Get 2 just in case. Will not cost much more then a buck if that at most places.

Good to know, thanks! If the one that I ordered doesn't end up being correct then I will definitely do this.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I wonder if the thickness will be right on...

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, ordered one. Thanks! Hopefully that's it.

Just out of curiosity, what was your source? I'm normally pretty good at finding parts online but this one proved to be a challenge. The only way I found anything related was plugging that number you gave me and the key word "C1500" into Google, and even that only yielded a couple of eBay listings.

Ebay listings were my main source I think! hah :Big Laugh: That wasn't an easy find. Found a few that listed it for BB's, diesels and then found some that listed for SB's... I figured on something like a dip stick seal, GM probably used the same part across multiple engines/years. I didn't see anything to the contrary, so if I was in your shoes, I would have ordered it on the chance... (as you did).

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not seen an old style small block or 4.3 that used a seal on the dipstick. The ones I have messed with are a tapered fit. I cleaned the tube and smeared a little RTV on it and pushed it into place then installed the bolt.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have not seen an old style small block or 4.3 that used a seal on the dipstick. The ones I have messed with are a tapered fit. I cleaned the tube and smeared a little RTV on it and pushed it into place then installed the bolt.

Haven't removed mine yet but it's definitely not RTV'd in place or anything. It rotates freely in the hole, I had to zip tie the end to my A/C lines to keep it from shifting around. It definitely feels like an o-ring seal if it's not.

Fukitol

Reaction score
I may be biased because I'm a manager at Advanced auto lol but local parts houses are usually great places for hard to find items and should have several knowledgeable people to help you. Good trick to keep you from dealing with the new guys is to ask for their commercial parts pro, who will have been there a while

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rob h