'97 C1500 4.3L V6 Catalytic Converter/Y-Pipe Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I just got home from my mechanic's shop with the red truck. ('97 C1500 4.3L) I was having him check out a strange noise for me at low RPM. Turns out my catalytic converter is failing. I'm a little disappointed because it's a Magnaflow 23457, which according to my research when I bought it in 2011 was supposed to be one of the best (if not the best) options on the market for the 4.3L. Granted that was a decade ago, but considering I only put about 3K miles on the truck per year I would've hoped for a little more life. Needless to say I'm a little hesitant to buy another Magnaflow.

I think I've got it narrowed down to these three choices...

Flowmaster 2010022:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2010022

Walker 50409:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-50409

Bosal 0795110:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bos-079-5110

I think I'd prefer to avoid Flowmaster now that they're made in China. I'm currently leaning towards the Bosal. It's the only one listed as "Improved Design/Precious Metal Washcoat" on RockAuto besides a CARB compliant Walker. Although I have no idea if that really makes a difference or not. Just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations before I place an order.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually just read that Magnaflow now owns Bosal's USA operations, plus I found a review for the Bosal on Amazon which says the flange bolt holes are improperly sized. Considering this info I think I'm leaning more towards the Walker 50409.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is aftermarket the only option? I'd trust more an OEM from the junkyard/part-out truck than anything aftermarket for cats (and most other things for that matter.) Pretty rare for the OEM to fail.

Do you know if the V6 and V8 truck had the same catalytic converters? I would assume so, but not sure.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is aftermarket the only option?

Unfortunately yes, the OEM assembly is discontinued. I suppose I could get a used OEM unit but I'd really prefer to go with new parts.

The 5.0L V8 uses the same single cat Y-pipe as the 4.3L V6, but the 5.7L and larger use a different dual cat Y-pipe.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just realized I accidentally posted this in the main "Engine Performance and Maintenance" section instead of the "Exhaust" subforum. @Old77 If you or anyone else would like to move it there please feel free.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aren't cats supposed to be guaranteed for 100,000 miles or something like that?

Magnaflow's converter warranty looks to be eight years or 80K miles, whichever comes first. I'm over the time limit unfortunately. :(

Really a bummer too because I don't think I even made it halfway to their 80K mileage cutoff.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
100k mile life? Really? My 99 NBS 4.3 Vortec has 255k. I KNOW it is original. By buddy has another '01 4.3 with close to 400k miles!

I also have 3 other GM trucks with 240k (GMT 400,) 208k (GMT 800,) and 168k (GMT 800) miles. I don't know the history on those as I bought them not that long ago with all those miles, but when I've looked under there, the catalytic converters look factory. If any one of them fails, I'm getting a factory one from a parted out truck!

My brother has a 90 C1500 and my Dad has had a 89 C1500, and I don't recall any of them failing catalytic converters. Both over 150,000 miles each.

The only catalytic converter I know personally that has failed was a nephew's S10 with 4.3 Vortec that got plugged. He's not too good about maintenance. I told him he needed to figure out why it had plugged, but he just cut them off and kept trucking, LOL.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it depends . Nowadays yes its covered if it goes bad. Think it's something around that mileage. I'm not sure about back then warranty. I feel like the rules changed over time for efficiency where as back then wasnt as big of a deal

Also I think it only applies for oem. Aftermarket I believe have wiggle room. I think my bosal warranty for 3 or 5 yrs. Cant remember