'96+ Vortec 5.7L Timing Cover + Valve Cover Gasket Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by df2x4, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Summit, Jegs, or any other speed-shop will have a dozen or more options. One-piece covers, two-piece covers, covers with removable plates for accessing the camshaft...there's no limit to the variety offered. Some will be quality items, most will be Communist Crap.

Be aware that GM has used various positions for timing pointers, the timing pointer must match the damper you use, AND be accessible (seen with timing light) with the engine and accessories installed in the vehicle.

"I" would--and did--use the stock stamped-steel cover, with a fresh gasket and front seal, because there's NOTHING wrong with it unless it's warped or has a hole worn in it, and you know it fits and will work properly.

2. big_mike

big_mike I'm Awesome

Yep, looks like it would be worth the extra coin if your keeping your truck and plan to work on it again later. I think I'll spring for this cover once I get back on my Tahoe. I already removed the stock plastic cover so I'm gonna have to buy a cover anyhow.
    Screenshot_2019-01-07-21-48-45.png

3. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

Placed the order on Summit this morning. I went with the natural finish Holley timing cover, ACDelco valve cover gaskets, and ACDelco harmonic balancer. I'll update this thread when everything gets put on. Will probably be the better part of a year though, as I'll be waiting until the next oil change in the Suburban. Last one took a full 12 months to rack up 3K miles. :lol:

Thanks again for the input, everyone!

big_mike likes this.
  4. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Why would you change oil with that few miles? If the vehicle is running right, and runs long enough to fully warm up, that oil should still be fine to double or triple that mileage.

5. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

Just habit. I get the oil changed and tires rotated in all of my vehicles at 3K, always have. Like I mentioned it takes me a long time to put that many miles on so it's mostly a peace of mind thing. I've sent samples to Blackstone Labs from both trucks and they've told me I could go another 1K or so if I wanted to, but I prefer to change it once a year or so whether it's necessary or not.