'96+ Vortec 5.7L Timing Cover + Valve Cover Gasket Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks again for the confirmation! Added to the shopping list.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm debating one of those sleeves as well, when I got my dampener off I noticed the groove as well. My only concern with the sleeve is if it'll groove a dampener hub you would think it would do the same to the sleeve or possibly eventually cut the sleeve in half since the seal fits tight enough on the OD of a stock dampener to groove it. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My engine was covered in crud at 22X,*** when I did the marine cam. I assume just like yours, it weeped/breathed but never dripped. I did the AC Delco cover and Fel Pro gaskets. Didn't bother with a repair sleeve on the damper, I'll have to check and see if it's breathing like the cover was but no drips. Don't forget to blob silicone into the corners of the timing cover so it doesn't leak.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My only concern with the sleeve is if it'll groove a dampener hub you would think it would do the same to the sleeve or possibly eventually cut the sleeve in half since the seal fits tight enough on the OD of a stock dampener to groove it.
The seal will wear a groove in the sleeve, yes, but as the seal itself wears out and loses its grip on the sleeve and/or damper snout, it will start leaking oil before it ever gets a chance to cut through the metal.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theoretically, the plastic timing cover is a "disposable, one-use" product.

If it were me, I'd buy a reputable front seal, install it in the existing plastic timing cover, put a thin skim of The Right Stuff on the existing elastomer "gasket" and bolt it all back together. While you're in there, be sure to inspect the timing chain 'n' sprockets. You'll likely replace the timing set.
If you buy a new plastic front cover, the seal should be included. No need to buy it separately.

I'm not a fan of the plastic timing chain cover (one time use). I found Holley makes one that is aluminum, has the crankshaft sensor provision, and uses a regular timing chain cover gasket. Holley p/n 21-153 (Black) or 21-152 (Natural).

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The damper sleeves are steel vs. the cast-iron of the damper hub. They wear a long time. EVENTUALLY the seal will cut through the sleeve although it takes a LONG time.

...but when it does, the sleeve will destroy the seal and it'll leak like crazy. Overall, it's a good trade-off. If the original seal and damper go ~150K or more miles, the replacement seal and sleeve will do about the same. By then, you're looking at a complete engine overhaul--or at least a timing chain 'n' gears, so you're tearing it apart again anyway.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the plastic timing chain cover (one time use). I found Holley makes one that is aluminum, has the crankshaft sensor provision, and uses a regular timing chain cover gasket. Holley p/n 21-153 (Black) or 21-152 (Natural).

Huh... Well that's pretty neat. At only about $15 more than the factory cover I may just go this route. Thanks for the heads up!

After thinking about it some more I may end up just ordering a new damper instead of the sleeve and let my mechanic install that if he feels like it's necessary. They're only $60 and it's going to have to come off anyway. The thought of that seal failing rapidly in another 150K miles due to the repair sleeve cutting in half does not please my OCD, regardless of how silly that concern may be for multiple reasons. I don't mind spending $60 to replace something that lasted 22 years and 150K miles. Worst case scenario is I don't end up needing it and it gets tossed into the parts pile, I can live with that.

Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming! This site is awesome.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like those are only for the 96+ Vortecs or 55-88. Any ideas on the best option for a metal cover for a 95 5.7 TBI ?

You might get more responses if you made a separate thread with this question. I don't mind the derail or anything but I did specifically state 96+ 5.7 Vortec in the thread title, TBI guys might not be looking in here.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on the best option for a metal cover for a 95 5.7 TBI ?
Summit, Jegs, or any other speed-shop will have a dozen or more options. One-piece covers, two-piece covers, covers with removable plates for accessing the camshaft...there's no limit to the variety offered. Some will be quality items, most will be Communist Crap.

Be aware that GM has used various positions for timing pointers, the timing pointer must match the damper you use, AND be accessible (seen with timing light) with the engine and accessories installed in the vehicle.

"I" would--and did--use the stock stamped-steel cover, with a fresh gasket and front seal, because there's NOTHING wrong with it unless it's warped or has a hole worn in it, and you know it fits and will work properly.

Or for that matter - is it really important to replace the cover rather than keep the stock cover with Timing indicator and just replace the seals and gasket?
Theoretically, the plastic timing cover is a "disposable, one-use" product.

If it were me, I'd buy a reputable front seal, install it in the existing plastic timing cover, put a thin skim of The Right Stuff on the existing elastomer "gasket" and bolt it all back together.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, looks like it would be worth the extra coin if your keeping your truck and plan to work on it again later. I think I'll spring for this cover once I get back on my Tahoe. I already removed the stock plastic cover so I'm gonna have to buy a cover anyhow.
You must be registered for see images attach