96 Tahoe header heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had headers on any truck I’ve owned. Seems like extra ordinary heat off of them. Gibson headers. All the plastic seems brittle under the hood. Anyone switch back? Can the benefits of these headers be that great? Not racing this truck so I was thinking of switching back to stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which plastic are you having issues with?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine are brittle on my two 98s, one has stock manifolds, the other JBA headers.

I think it’s pretty common given the age, the smaller diameter looms seem more fragile.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had headers on any truck I’ve owned. Seems like extra ordinary heat off of them. Gibson headers. All the plastic seems brittle under the hood. Anyone switch back? Can the benefits of these headers be that great? Not racing this truck so I was thinking of switching back to stock

One of the downsides of headers--they cook the engine compartment. And yes, they can be wrapped, but that introduces a whole 'nother maintenance routine. The header wrap on a truck that sees dirt and mud will need replaced after a while. Headers also are a PIA to keep fastened to the heads if your truck actually see gravel roads.

Headers are great if a truck is making bigger HP and is a weekend warrior, otherwise I've decided they are not worth the hassle. BTDT, more than once.

Although the HP gains are small, I'd give the extruded honing process a try on my manifolds if it wasn't so breathtakingly expensive.