96 Suburban K1500 wandering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc2500

Reaction score
Just replaced the steering gearbox, outer tie rods and pitman arm on my Burb, but its still wandering and still have about 1/2-1 inch of play in the steering wheel. Could a leaking power steering pump cause this?

There is no sensor on the ps pump, that means i do not have the EVO sensor, right?

Also replaced the rag joint.
Everything already said, and to top it off, look at Cognito support kit and SuperSteer bracket. And, also basic, but rotate your tires, sometimes it’s hiding there too.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at Cognito support kit and SuperSteer bracket.

Yup, that highlights at least two things:

- steering "play" can originate in the places one often least expects, and

- when "lifting" the front suspension, any increase in the angle of the tie rods, between the center link and the knuckle, creates / increases the forces in the steering linkage so much that the vehicle might need these products

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. The lower ball joint on the passenger side is shot. Gonna replace it saturday.
When was the other side's lower ball joint replaced? If it hasn't been done recently, I recommend doing both. Save yourself trouble later. Bad ball joints don't just make it handle poorly and have loose steering, they'll ruin a set of front tires quickly too.

97Burban57

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When mine was wondering I just tightened the adjuster screw on the steering box maybe a quarter turn and it got rid of the wandering.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A worn or scored bore in the power steering pump where the flow control valve is will lead to inconsistent assist which can show as wandering becuase the amount the steering is being aided is constantly shifting or at least inconsistently with regards to the road so thats worth a check
You must be registered for see images attach