96' L31 timing and crank relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not get a year and sonetimes less than 6 months out of the Delco caps even after vacuum venting the distributor. The wires were also garbage. Even when I had stock manifolds and heat insulators the boots would crack and the spark would arc to the tin metal heatshields. Went to MSD caps, Taylor 8.8 wires and the problem vanished.

Are you using an otherwise stock ignition or has it been "augmented" in some way?

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you using an otherwise stock ignition or has it been "augmented" in some way?
That is when it was 100% stock. From day one it had to have a cap and rotor atleast once a year. It was done under GM factory warranty 3 times. Once by the original owner. The wires only lasted 2-3 years before they were cooked as well. 105K mile first tuneup, not a chance.

I had a 24x system on the 350, but as I learned these vans eat LS coils. Even the stock LS vans do. Got tired of having to change 1 after another from heat related failure. My coils were used ones that I initially put on it, but once 2 of the Delco replacements failed and I built the 383, I put the single coil/distributor back on it. I now carry a spare coil and module already on a mounting bracket with me along with a used cap and rotor. In that box is also a used thermostat and a used crank sensor. Those are the highest failure items on these trucks.

Currently I am running the same United Motor Products aluminum distributor, the same old MSD cap and rotor and the same old Davis Unified Module and Coil that were on the 350 for more than 3 years before I put the 24x on it. The Taylor wires were new for the 383. The distributor was run sans cap and rotor with an aluminum housing cap on top when I was 24x.

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Can you tell me where you found it? I have a 97 I'm trying to find it for. Can't get it on Torque Pro for 97.
In Dash Command you have to purchase the GM extended parameters. The parameter ID for Cam Retard (CKP / CMP Correlation) is GM.ENGINE.CR (°) found in the general PID's.

ZackBanks

Reaction score
In Dash Command you have to purchase the GM extended parameters. The parameter ID for Cam Retard (CKP / CMP Correlation) is GM.ENGINE.CR (°) found in the general PID's.
When I go to purchase the extended parameters it says "This package does not have any PIDs for your selected vehicle." What year is your 5.7l? Mine is a 97.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
When I go to purchase the extended parameters it says "This package does not have any PIDs for your selected vehicle." What year is your 5.7l? Mine is a 97.
I have a '96 5.7l. on my Iphone, when i open dash command I can select account, purchase, GM (chevrolet, buick, etc.), and i can see there is extended parameters for '96 - 2009. I have a green check mark next to the '96 since it has been purchased.