96 5.7 holley sniper efi conversion help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bertscova

Reaction score
I wanting to put the holley sniper on my 96 5.7 5 speed. Anyone have any insight on how to accomplish this so all my guages work correctly with no engine lights. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanting to put the holley sniper on my 96 5.7 5 speed. Anyone have any insight on how to accomplish this so all my guages work correctly with no engine lights. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated
Why waste the time with the Holley. I am not a huge aftermarket EFI much less Sniper fan at all. 0411 + HP Tuners

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'd like to put Holley's Sniper EFI on my 96 5.7 5 speed. Does anyone have any insight on how to accomplish this such that all of my factory gages work correctly with no warning lights? Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Fixed that for ya.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a Sniper? The factory Vortec injection is plenty capable unless you're going with a really wild cam. There's no real performance increase in replacing the factory setup with it. I have a Holley Sniper on my '89, but it replaced a TBI that wasn't big enough for the cam.

Your main issue will be controlling the transmission. The early TBI trucks, like mine, have 700R4s and only use the ECU for torque converter clutch lockup. 1993 and later have the 4L60e and need a controller. Once you have that, you get the fun of tying to keep the warning lights from lighting up. I know nothing on that subject, except that you can likely eliminate most by yanking the factory ECU.

If you do go Sniper, absolutely get Holley's $16 throttle extension. Without it the Sniper will constantly try to blow your rear tires off, and if you stomp the pedal hard enough you can bend the Sniper's throttle shaft.

You'll also want Summit's $16 adjustable throttle bracket.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you want a Sniper? The factory Vortec injection is plenty capable unless you're going with a really wild cam. There's no real performance increase in replacing the factory setup with it. I have a Holley Sniper on my '89, but it replaced a TBI that wasn't big enough for the cam.

Your main issue will be controlling the transmission. The early TBI trucks, like mine, have 700R4s and only use the ECU for torque converter clutch lockup. 1993 and later have the 4L60e and need a controller. Once you have that, you get the fun of tying to keep the warning lights from lighting up. I know nothing on that subject, except that you can likely eliminate most by yanking the factory ECU.

If you do go Sniper, absolutely get Holley's $16 throttle extension. Without it the Sniper will constantly try to blow your rear tires off, and if you stomp the pedal hard enough you can bend the Sniper's throttle shaft.

His left foot and right hand control his transmission. OP stated he had a 5spd. As for the PCM, it buffers the speedo and sends a VSS signal to the ABS. It also controls the ac clutch relay. All the gauges are standalone on a 96 or 97. In 1998 the only gauge going through the ECM is the fuel gauge. You could rewire the ac to run without the computer. The PCMs function for the speedo and abs could be rewired by using a 1995 VSSB aka DRAC (yes I know they are slightly different) from a manual trans truck. The white wire coming off the factory coil is also the tach output for the cluster. Just needs to be connected to the tach signal on a HEI.

EvenExotix

Reaction score

this helps for me, I posted a question similar with 4l60e. which controller should I go for, if you may plz reply on my post with this info