96 4x4 header advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys- replacing exhaust with true duals, might as well replace manifolds too. Read 4x4’s need to use “shorties”? Whose do you like? Why? I will have them ceramek coated, etc as it gets driven in winter, too. Thanks!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go on the link above and read the Q&As for each set you're interested in, a lot of good info but, you'll have to do some research.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was planning my engine, I wanted to go with stainless just for the sake of it being a "one-and-done" deal. My dad has had ceramic and plain steel headers on most of his trucks and cars when I was growing up, and none of them really held up long term if he was driving the vehicle a lot. I ended up doing some googling, and went with the OBX stainless headers on ebay. I did end up taking one of the headers to a welder and had him plug up one of the ports (NOT exhaust ports) on them since I wasn't going to be using it (not EGR, the other one). They're pretty heavy, and feel like quality. I have put some time on them now, and I'm happy with my decision. I went with some header gaskets that were recommended by the machine shop that did the machine work on my engine. I had a backfire issue upon first start that blew both of them out. Once I got the backfire issue fixed, I ended up going with Percy's and haven't looked back.

You will probably have to relocate the drivers side O2 sensor also I believe. Mine would have hit my transfer case, IIRC. I also wrapped my steel fuel lines in heat wrap, just for peace of mind.

In the end, if you go with long tubes, you will obviously have to have some work done to the rest of your exhaust to get it to fit. This may be a good opportunity to go the true dual route.

Here's the headers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaus...160420&hash=item1c5a4b47c6:g:dYoAAOxyqUpQ4rZM