96’ K1500 SWB Z71 “Caroline”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope it's the same. Just installed a regular ole front diff in my F44 half ton last weekend. Stupid easy to do. 4 bolts hold in the diff, 6 bolts for each CV axle. I disconnected the tie rods to be able to turn the spindle enough to get the axle out of the way but you don't have to remove the axles to drop the diff. I also had to cut the lower driver side bolt off and punch it out, not sure if my diff had been removed before but the bolt wasn't able to slide out completely because the head was hitting the lower control arm. I cut it off and went to the hardware store and got a new bolt and turned it the other way so the nut was to the outside. That was the only hiccup. Also depending on the what actuator your diff has, there is a metal spacer in there too. My truck had a thermal actuator which does not use the spacer inside the actuator housing of the diff. I just transferred my actuator to the new diff. The electric actuator does use the spacer I think. Actuator just comes off with a crescent wrench. My electrical plugs didn't match the ones on the new diff but you can unscrew it and swap it to the one that was on the diff you were already using. I did that to mine.

If you knew all this already after having removed that diff yourself, then my apologies lol

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope it's the same. Just installed a regular ole front diff in my F44 half ton last weekend. Stupid easy to do. 4 bolts hold in the diff, 6 bolts for each CV axle. I disconnected the tie rods to be able to turn the spindle enough to get the axle out of the way but you don't have to remove the axles to drop the diff. I also had to cut the lower driver side bolt off and punch it out, not sure if my diff had been removed before but the bolt wasn't able to slide out completely because the head was hitting the lower control arm. I cut it off and went to the hardware store and got a new bolt and turned it the other way so the nut was to the outside. That was the only hiccup. Also depending on the what actuator your diff has, there is a metal spacer in there too. My truck had a thermal actuator which does not use the spacer inside the actuator housing of the diff. I just transferred my actuator to the new diff. The electric actuator does use the spacer I think. Actuator just comes off with a crescent wrench. My electrical plugs didn't match the ones on the new diff but you can unscrew it and swap it to the one that was on the diff you were already using. I did that to mine.

If you knew all this already after having removed that diff yourself, then my apologies lol

Too easy, the reminder is nice as it’s been about 7 months since I dropped that diff but I’m familiar with it.

It’s good too hear someone else say it’s a “bolt in” process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Quick update:

She’s back and better then ever. Lift kit is on, 14B swap done. Gave her the shakedown tonight on some backroads... she’s prime.

I have a ton of photos for a lift review thread and maybe another 14B swap process I’ll just post here. Have a few things that still need attention and tinkering, just glad to have my girl back on the road an be behind the wheel.

More too come y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Y’all, it’s been a long time! But figured I’d give a quick update.

Shortly after that above photo was taken I started experiencing the symptoms of a busted Ujoint on the axle yoke side, as I was still running the 10 bolt OG rearend and had the 14B up front installed with the lift complete just unable to use 4wd with non-engage issue still. Once the Ujoint finally gave out I parked the truck, couple months had passed and went to replace the joint, the trans decided it was done and developed a massive leak and was super floaty in gear. So the truck then sat for almost a year I’d guess, life happened and I’ve been just busy with my other projects getting done and keeping the bills paid.

GOOD NEWS!

I’ve had a lot of time off recently for the holiday and managed to get the truck in the shop and finish the 14B swap COMPLETELY this time. So, axle is in and bolted up I had the driveshaft dropped off to get a full service and “*******” Ujoint pressed so I can run the OG shaft with the 14B yoke. Finishing up the brake lines/emergency brake hook up currently then it’s just waiting on the shaft to be done. I’ve got some solid ideas for fixing the 4wd issue and slapping on the finishing touches so hopefully so I can enjoy it once again. (Trucks going to my buddies shop for trans work)

Hope y’all have been well, I’ll post some pictures later!

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Photos as promised, still plan on sitting down and doing a thread for the skyjacker lift 2.5”-3”.

I know there is a ton out there already, but for those who just happen to be reading this thread can feel free to contact me in regards to the 14B swap or the lift kit.

If anyone has any recommendations for tires, I love these but wish they were skinnier and taller. I’ve already been looking at the Interco SS TSL tires as they have a pretty narrow profile if desired, any ideas are welcome!

Thanks y’all.