96’ K1500 SWB Z71 “Caroline”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooner then later it seems, I have a 30x40 pole barn to hide in all winter for a trans swap.

Call me crazy, I’ve been chatting up the local salvage yard. Working on a getting 14bsf axles, SWB frame, same as mine. NV4500 trans and BW4401, think I’m losing my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Far as my front diff goes I’d like to rebuild it or at the least put new seals in around
The axle shaft in the case.

I’m assuming I gotta split the case and pull all the internals apart then knock those seals out.

You must be registered for see images attach

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as my front diff goes I’d like to rebuild it or at the least put new seals in around
The axle shaft in the case.

I’m assuming I gotta split the case and pull all the internals apart then knock those seals out.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me try that again.

Driver side axle seal requires knocking out the shaft with a slide hammer or similar. They are retained by a spring clip. Sometimes the clip will not compress and the axle does not come out without total disassembly. Passenger side is similar, but the housing on that side must be removed because there is a washer by the actuator that will fall out of place when the axle is removed. The differential case halves themselves do not need to be disassembled.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me try that again.

Driver side axle seal requires knocking out the shaft with a slide hammer or similar. They are retained by a spring clip. Sometimes the clip will not compress and the axle does not come out without total disassembly. Passenger side is similar, but the housing on that side must be removed because there is a washer by the actuator that will fall out of place when the axle is removed. The differential case halves themselves do not need to be disassembled.

I’m slightly confused, so I had no problem when I hammered the shafts out... they didn’t take much work... I then used a fine edged chisel and a hammer and worked my way around the outer shaft oil seal till I got it popped off... but you are saying I can’t just replace those seals and side the axle shafts back in? I need to now pull the case apart and reinstall that washer, but then you said the case halves do not need separated?

Here’s where I’m at, the other side is knocked out already and I’m off to town too pick up new seals and gear oil.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The axle tube on the passenger side is where the washer is located. Remove the tube that is attached with 5 bolts and you will see the washer that slides over the polished tip of the axle shaft. It is possible for it to stay in place, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sat and thought about it right before I read you’re reply! “I gotta pull that tube off I bet”.

Stick around, I’m actively pulling it now.