96’ K1500 SWB Z71 “Caroline”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y’all, figured I’d post a thread mostly for input but to have somewhere to keep a documentation of my build. If you go to the introductions I have most details posted up there so I won’t go into detail here.

Quick run-down, as the title states the truck, she’s a 5.7L with a 4L60e (do I swap it or nah? NV..?)

You must be registered for see images attach

Not looking for it to be an absolute off-road’r as I have other toys for that (IH8mud member) but I’m going to get it some advantage for when the time comes. I’m currently installing a SkyJacker 2-2.50” lift kit and she’s getting some new 34” Interco TSL SS. I have mostly everything ripped off the front end just waiting on my stuff to get back from powder coating.

Here’s some of what I have so far done. I pulled basically a whole front end out of a salvage yard truck and now that’s getting the same treatment^.

(Read my “Introduction” post for more details.)

It seems this lift has never been done from what I can tell scanning the forum and maybe y’all will hate me for doing it! But I’ll most pictures as it goes back together, so far I’m happy with the quality of parts from SkyJacker. I wish I had more photos to post of it to show where I’m at with everything.

My boys from the north will understand what’s going on here, this truck came from Indiana.

Also the rack you see on the back is something I found at the salvage yard then fab’d it up a little for my usage.

Hope y’all enjoy the read, I’ll try and keep things updated even if I’m the only one reading, at this point I’m taking any advice I can use. Like I said, this ain’t no bog truck or pebble climber but anything to enhance the performance off-road.

Bryce,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks boss man!^

Really seeking the input/opinions of things such as:

• Axle upgrades/diff lock (g80 is what I got, Gov’ lock I believe?)

• trans upgrade? 4L60e to? NV, SM?

I know these are all things I can find on the forum and I have, just wanna focus it in again so I’m straight with it.

Also working a non-4WD engage issue, blows fuse every time I shift it in. Replaced both actuator and switch on case, any ideas? Bad ground?

Also, is anyone running those TB adapters I’ve read on here?

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks boss man!^

Really seeking the input/opinions of things such as:

• Axle upgrades/diff lock (g80 is what I got, Gov’ lock I believe?)

• trans upgrade? 4L60e to? NV, SM?

I know these are all things I can find on the forum and I have, just wanna focus it in again so I’m straight with it.

Also working a non-4WD engage issue, blows fuse every time I shift it in. Replaced both actuator and switch on case, any ideas? Bad ground?

Also, is anyone running those TB adapters I’ve read on here?

No problem! The g80 from what I understand is a locker at low speeds and unlocks at high speeds. There are lockers available for the front and rear diffs. If you wanted to stay automatic and plan on hauling a lot the 4l80e is the best option but if you wanted stick I would go with a nv4500. As for the fuse issue i have no idea.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Far as lockers go, I’ve seen Detroit and Eaton... anything I’m missing?

I know for the 9.25” ifs they make an arb air locker for the front, however only 2500/3500s got the 9.25” front diff. I’m not sure if they make an air locker for the 1500s but I imagine they would. I’m pretty sure that’s the only lockers they make for the rear is eaton and Detroit as you mentioned. Also you probably have a 10 bolt rear end, the 14 bolt semi floater or full floater is a huge upgrade from the 10 bolt. The 14 bolt ff is only offered in 8 lug. The 14 bolt sf is offered in 8 or 6. You could get a 6 lug 14b out of a light duty 2500, I believe they also came in the heavy duty 1500s.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know for the 9.25” ifs they make an arb air locker for the front, however only 2500/3500s got the 9.25” front diff. I’m not sure if they make an air locker for the 1500s but I imagine they would. I’m pretty sure that’s the only lockers they make for the rear is eaton and Detroit as you mentioned. Also you probably have a 10 bolt rear end, the 14 bolt semi floater or full floater is a huge upgrade from the 10 bolt. The 14 bolt ff is only offered in 8 lug. The 14 bolt sf is offered in 8 or 6. You could get a 6 lug 14b out of a light duty 2500, I believe they also came in the heavy duty 1500s.

Lucky for me I found 6 lug/14 bolt, was underneath a truck at the salvage yard... probably pick that up later down the road.

Do you know anyone running Torsion Bar Relocators? I found the website for @RealLift seems like they can’t do any harm? Or am I missing something?

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lucky for me I found 6 lug/14 bolt, was underneath a truck at the salvage yard... probably pick that up later down the road.

Do you know anyone running Torsion Bar Relocators? I found the website for @RealLift seems like they can’t do any harm? Or am I missing something?

The real lift relocators were designed to be used with a 6” lift. I would call or email them and ask if it could be used with a smaller lift. However there are several members on here who use them.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The real lift relocators were designed to be used with a 6” lift. I would call or email them and ask if it could be used with a smaller lift. However there are several members on here who use them.

Hey White, check this out.

Chevy 14 Bolt with LOCKER 3:73 GEAR 6 lug special 4x4 axle setup
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/d/trenton-chevy-14-bolt-with-locker-373/7199005993.html

Hopefully that gives the link, if not I’ll post it up again.