95C1500's 1995 Silverado "Build" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hvac box isn't bad once you get the dash out. I've got amazing airflow since I rebuilt my hvac box. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Holy ****, you're going all out on the A/C repair! Nice work. :)
Thanks! It's taking a while, but I'm getting there.

The hvac box isn't bad once you get the dash out. I've got amazing airflow since I rebuilt my hvac box. Good luck!

You were able to swing your dash way out of the way (looked like the column was removed?). I left the column in so my "swing out" is limited. I was able to get it out this afternoon though.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
March 10, 2020
Mileage: 162,002

Made decent progress today. Picked up my lines and actuators and managed to remove the condenser as well as the HVAC box.

You must be registered for see images attach

The box was worse off than I was expecting. Aside from the dirt and the usual worn 25 year old seals, one of my mode doors fell. I did not expect that. Another had a damaged seal, and the recirc door either has a weird shape to it or is warped/damaged. I can't find a replacment anywhere. @Cokeman95 Did yours look similar? Second pic below.

I stuck my phone in the blower motor hole to look at the evap core. I expected it to be filthy but my God. No wonder my fan blows like ****.

Also pulled the orifice tube out of the condenser and there's quite a bit of crud and what looked to me like metal shavings. I'm glad I opted to buy all new parts.

Aside from the AC work, I started laying some Kilmat down as far up the floorpan/firewall as I care to deal with while the box is out and it's a little easier to get to. I originally planned to do the whole firewall but there isn't enough room and I don't have the patience to mess with it.

Tomorrow before work I plan to keep installing Kilmat. Thursday, I'll hit the ground running with the hvac box disassembly, cleaning, and part replacement. Still waiting on the condenser (will be here tomorrow) and the upper air distribution box (between tomorrow and monday).

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Wow, that core is stuffed full. Thanks for the pics. It's easy to forget about stuff like that.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Wow, that core is stuffed full. Thanks for the pics. It's easy to forget about stuff like that.
Yeah, I've never looked at mine. I'll have to pull the blower motor and clean it out every so often.

@95C1500 My recirc door didn't look like that. Mine functioned fine and had a seal still. I left it alone since I couldn't find a replacement. Look for a part # on the door while you have the box apart is my suggestion.

I did that this morning. It's discontinued.. of course. I'll try to pull one from a junkyard I guess unless someone on the facebook group has one

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the drain elbow condition. Mine rotted apart from age. New one came in today.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the drain elbow condition. Mine rotted apart from age. New one came in today.

I'll have to check it again but mine looked fine.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
March 13, 2020
Mileage: 162,002

Hit a huge milestone with the AC today.

The ACDelco condenser I ordered ended up being the wrong one. Mine has a sensor or switch located on the line running to the compressor. The one I ordered did not. Every part number I found (ACD, GM, Specra, etc..) for my truck is "currently unavailable". So, I returned the Delco unit and picked up a Spectra condenser Autozone claims is correct for my truck. It looks a little different but it looks like everything will line up okay.

Also finished up my hvac box. Decided the "damaged" recir flap wasn't actually damaged. Seemed to seal okay. Tossed the recirc assembly back on the case and installed the new blower motor. Indexed the actuators with the current settings on my temp control panel. The recirc actuator over traveled and got stuck. So, after a heartsunk second and a few choice words I opened it up and reoriented the gearing inside until it worked like it was supposed to. Expanding foam tape finished off the hvac box and into the truck it went. I did it by myself and I bet it took me 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The interior bolt that I thought would be the easiest to get installed was the last one. It literally took me an hour. No joke. I'm pretty sure it's cross threaded too but tight is tight and I'll worry about it in 25 years (hopefully). Check out my extension!

Also got the heater core hoses installed. Still need to pull the antenna gromet through the firewall (major pita). Also got my new corner lights in so I got the old sockets cut out and epoxied to the new uppers. Those'll go on with the grille after I pull a vacuum on the system.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the dash back together and the under hood components installed. I'm going to take it into the local dealer to have them charge the system. I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as oiling the system. I'm going to check the service manual in the morning.