95C1500's 1995 Silverado "Build" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Starting my fifth year. Slowly but surely

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Oh wow, are planning on getting a masters degree?
Nope. Getting my BS and I'm never going back. I'm not built for school. I enjoy working 11 hours in a 120* shop more than I enjoy studying and taking exams. I didn't take it as serious as I should have the first few years and took way too many credit hours at once to keep a scholarship and my gpa suffered because of it. Failed a couple classes, dropped a couple classes. I'm taking a final for the class I dropped last semester on Monday and those classes will be behind me. Three more semester and I'll have a BS in mech engineering... hopefully.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Ahh I see, yeah I don't like school either, that's why I am only going for 2 years in Auto Tech, I would much rather work.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Not much has been happening with the truck lately. School took 90% of my "available" funds and I have yet to recuperate lol.

9/??/2019
Mileage: ?

I did swap out the AC clutch cycle switch, receiver/dryer shrader valve, and evacuated/refilled the system in an effort to get my AC working again. I had it recharged at the beginning of the summer and 3 months later, it was short cycling again (makes it feel like a miss at idle, and the constant clicking on and off drives me insane). I was using my neighbor's 30 year old hand me down manifold gauge set and my pressure were WAY off. I'm talking 90 psi low and 300 psi high. I didn't believe that and the ac worked great. No more short cycling and was blowing about 45*. That only lasted until... last week. Short cycling again an not blowing as cold. I will probably hold off on the AC (seeing as winter is right around the corner) and save up over the winter to replace the entire system. It needs an overhaul.

I drove over to the girlfriend's tonight because her truck wouldn't start. On the way, on a dirt road, a truck spilled out of a blind driveway and I had to hit the brakes hard. The truck felt a little sluggish but I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I planned t adjust them at her house while I was working. Well, figuring out her issue took a few hours and I just didn't feel like messing with mine so I decided to drive home and mess with it tomorrow after work. Truck still felt sluggish and when driving past a wooden fence/building/other car/etc, I could hear a grinding sound.Like shoes dragging on a drum. Tons of grabbing from the rear too. I limped it to my parent's place up the road and decided to leave the truck there and borrow one of their extra vehicles until I have time to mess with it on Wednesday (this seems to be a monthly occurrence :whymewhyme: )

Anyway, if you go through my old build thread, you'll see that drum brakes and I do not get along. Nothing but problems out of mine. I clean an adjust them regularly. They just always seem to fail. If this isn't an easy, cheap fix, I believe it is time to bite the bullet and spend money I don't have on a rear disc kit. It's been a plan for years, it may finally be time to go through with it.

And a picture because threads are boring without pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since my rear disc conversion, i've forgotten all about the rear brakes...

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Since my rear disc conversion, i've forgotten all about the rear brakes...
The only thing stopping me (other than the price and being broke), is the parking brake calipers seem to be hit or miss. Texas requires an e brake for inspection and I prefer to have one anyway.
Is the rear disc setup worth it over the drums?
As often I was having to f*ck with my rear brakes to get them to work properly and not make God awful grinding noises anytime coming to a stop (<1000 miles on them too), I figured even if I had the same trouble out of discs, at least they would be easier to replace and not require maintenance.