95 yukon rear axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirArseFace

Reaction score
been looking around and read if switching axles in a 4wd make sure the axles are the same ratio. my RPO is a GT4 which is a 3.73. is it possible to swap a 03 avalanche rear axle 3.73 with the g80? looking to do this for the g80 option as well as disc brakes.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need to move the spring mounts and shock mounts, but as long as the ratio matches the front it will work. Not sure on the driveshaft, some one should know on that.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, I think it's too much work. I pulled a '03 5.3 from a suburban that's going into my 99 Silverado, both GMT 800. The suburban had 3.73 and the guy offered it for cheap, but found out the rear coil spring setup of the SUVs is completely different than a leaf spring truck, so I passed.

I believe the Avalanche is also coil rears. Maybe the Avalanche 2500 has rear leafs, don't know.

Probably easier to stick with same leaf spring axle?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can convert as b454rat suggested. There's different ways to convert. Do a search. I've seen some recently that look pretty simple.

But I like your idea of swapping from a NBS. Just look for '99-'02 truck. The '03 to '07 went back to drum, LOL.

But there will be some fab work though. It's not a direct, bolt-on swap. If you can turn a wrench and know how to weld, or know a buddy that can weld.

I've seen guys on that Pirate4x4 website have done it. And those axles are so plentyful nowadays...i.e., cheap.

Last edited: