95 th I chip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Where is the place to get a chip for a 95 5.7 auto truck? Light mods.
Is it better to get a custom tune or is something like a jet or hypertec chip good.

Thanks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Custom tune is always going to be better than a handheld programmer, but unfortunately I'm not sure who to recommend for a TBI truck. I know to steer clear of TBIChip.com/Harris Performance, though. I'm sure someone else more familiar with the TBI trucks can point you in the right direction.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK if you can do a custom tune on an OBD1 ECM. I don't think so but not 100 percent sure. As for chips, Jet performance may be all you can find again I'm not sure. Summit racing does sell Jet chips, and programmers. The biggest issues with our trucks, is that there are getting old, so the aftermarket MFGs have kind of abandoned us some what. Its all about money. It cost a lot to make only a few parts, but when you make a few 100,000 its cheap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK if you can do a custom tune on an OBD1 ECM. I don't think so but not 100 percent sure.

It's definitely possible. There's a few different people over on http://www.gearhead-efi.com/ who will do it. Like I said I just can't recommend anyone specifically because I haven't dealt with them personally. I know others here have, though.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a handheld programmer or any of the chips Summit/JEGS sell. A custom tune should be around the same price.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's definitely possible. There's a few different people over on http://www.gearhead-efi.com/ who will do it. Like I said I just can't recommend anyone specifically because I haven't dealt with them personally. I know others here have, though.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a handheld programmer or any of the chips Summit/JEGS sell. A custom tune should be around the same price.
Yea, your rite, a custom tune is about the same price. As you may already know, I bought a Jet programmer several years ago. Its OK and thats all. The thing is, I can change settings anytime I want. It also does tire size, and live data code reading, and erases CEL codes. I thought it would do a lot more for engine performance, but it did help trans performance a good bit. It will do for a while. One day IDK when I will do some serious mods, and steep up to a custom tune.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Chewy1576, care to shine some light on this? Didn't you do some tuning to the TBI 383 in your K2500?

Dave W (Old School EFI) on Gearhead EFI is a great TBI tuner. You’re already running the later gen PCM, so he should be able to do a lot for a slightly modded 350. If you’re willing to jump in and do your own tuning, Gearhead EFI is also a great resource for anything you need to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk