95 suburban puking trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well when I had a cooler line break on my old 94 burb, it got me home and I had no idea there was a problem until I couldnt reverse into my driveway. then I saw the line of tranny fluid all the way down the road. the tranny was toast but no reverse was the first sign I had a problem, I had just stopped at a stop light and went through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, just no reverse. the next day I fixed the line and filled the tranny back up. took the truck for a spin and once it had warmed up it didnt want to move forward anymore. it was terminal. I followed the tranny fluid line back 10Kms to the highway.... it had been leaking for a long time. and then I had my first experience removing and replacing a 4L60E in my laneway. on gravel.

Al

JonP

Reaction score
Lots of things here, but from prior experience: Does it go forward? 1st and reverse are part of the same clutch pack, (T700, 700R4, th350, th400...) no reverse and rev to get going forward or not at all spell wasted clutch packs. As noted plugged cooler lines can back out the fluid, but from the vent, not the trans to transfer case seal, which is a face seal so a drip, type leak, not a pressure leak. So for the vent the whole case would be covered. How does the fluid smell, what’s its color ? Dark, opaque and rancid is also a burnt trans, should be red, transparent and hydraulic fluid smelling. Did they show up with problems or did it puke out on arrival, or after sitting for some time, a vague description gets vague answers.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Lots of things here, but from prior experience: Does it go forward? 1st and reverse are part of the same clutch pack, (T700, 700R4, th350, th400...) no reverse and rev to get going forward or not at all spell wasted clutch packs. As noted plugged cooler lines can back out the fluid, but from the vent, not the trans to transfer case seal, which is a face seal so a drip, type leak, not a pressure leak. So for the vent the whole case would be covered. How does the fluid smell, what’s its color ? Dark, opaque and rancid is also a burnt trans, should be red, transparent and hydraulic fluid smelling. Did they show up with problems or did it puke out on arrival, or after sitting for some time, a vague description gets vague answers.
She bought the truck like 2 months ago and said it’s been leaking since before she got it. None of the trans fluid looks or smells burnt,and it had reverse and didn’t need extra throttle to move until yesterday. Which I was just assuming was low fluid. It definitely leaks fluid out while it’s sitting over night,I just can’t really see where it’s coming from. That’s why I don’t think it’s line related,plus it’s only caked on the bottom of the trans and t case

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
I have no idea to be totally honest lol it still hasn’t dried up enough outside to crawl under the truck and get some pictures

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my friends has a long roof stuck in my driveway with no reverse,she said it’s been leaking trans fluid for a while so I looked under it and the back of the trans and entire transfer case are caked in trans fluid. What could be causing it?
Clean it off. A pressure-washer works best.

See where it comes back.

JonP

Reaction score
She bought the truck like 2 months ago and said it’s been leaking since before she got it. None of the trans fluid looks or smells burnt,and it had reverse and didn’t need extra throttle to move until yesterday. Which I was just assuming was low fluid. It definitely leaks fluid out while it’s sitting over night,I just can’t really see where it’s coming from. That’s why I don’t think it’s line related,plus it’s only caked on the bottom of the trans and t case

ahh, bottom of the trans, (pan?) can be a pressure leak, but an other spot, if from the under side, is from within the bell at the input shaft, that seal is where all the pressure comes from, and would be a drip type leak developing into a dynamic leak. Unfortunately any leak that is persistent, will get worse and eventually cause a bigger problem. If you can’t pressure wash it, as suggested, brake clean and a rag will help. Got to find it to fix it.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well when I had a cooler line break on my old 94 burb, it got me home and I had no idea there was a problem until I couldnt reverse into my driveway. then I saw the line of tranny fluid all the way down the road. the tranny was toast but no reverse was the first sign I had a problem, I had just stopped at a stop light and went through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, just no reverse. the next day I fixed the line and filled the tranny back up. took the truck for a spin and once it had warmed up it didnt want to move forward anymore. it was terminal. I followed the tranny fluid line back 10Kms to the highway.... it had been leaking for a long time. and then I had my first experience removing and replacing a 4L60E in my laneway. on gravel.

Al
I overheated mine and it puked most of the fluid out. Lost all gears, but luckily after I made it home & got the pontoon backed into the driveway. Filled it the next day and started working again, but it was to far gone to last. Had my first experience replacing a 4l60e at my uncle’s house on his lift, under his tutelage of course.