95 Suburban k2500 a/c orifice tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think what the Vortecs came with is a Delco DA6, but many have retrofit the Sanden. My Burb hasn't had functional AC since I got it, and it works okay on the crew cab (at least in the front seat, whoever decided the only duct facing the back seat should be behind the cupholder, oughta be forced to sit back there on hot, humid gulf coast summer days!). And the truck has factory dark tint glass on the back doors and rear window, so that's not the issue. I think it probably could use a little more Freon but haven't had the $$ to have someone look at it.
HT6 model on the vortecs. The DA6 was used on some square body 454s and the 92-96 G-series vans and 92-95 Astros. I believe the LT1s had a model of DA6 possibly HD6 as well.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to put a sanden compressor in?

There are well-known approaches to retrofit a Sanden compressor in place of an R4, although it's not a direct swap (for comparison, the Sanden #4440 and #4261 are a direct swap for the later HT6).

Some brackets are needed (make your own or get them via eBay or elsewhere) and some means of fitting the OE hoses to the Sanden's ports is required (which is the "trick" of the conversion).

@Hoplite has done this conversion; I'm in the process of doing-so on my 1995 S10 pickup using a Sanden #4864.

If you simply Google "Sanden #4864 R4 retrofit" you'll be given a number of relevant links.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one that enjoyed its stay and didn't want to come out was in the condenser. The one on the left I replaced probably after the original compressor bearing went.
You must be registered for see images attach

(I edited your earlier picture... the OT from the Y-tube is at the top, OT from the condenser is on the bottom)

Those OT screens... ugh. It's a sorry sight when there's $h!t like that in the system.

It looks like the filter screen in the condenser OT collapsed, and I assume leaked, which would explain why the OT in the Y-tube caught some crud.

I also assume the rear TXV screen received as much crud as the Y-pipe OT's screen

I also wonder what your (soon to be "former") receiver / drier looks like on the inside. I've cut them open before just to see what, if anything, took up residence in the bottom of the can.

On your system... I see two suction lines which join just prior to the compressor. I assume your front system has the R/D in its suction line, yes(?), while the rear system's suction line has none.

I ask b/c on the 1996+ system (such as mine) the R/D has three fittings, one for the front evaporator discharge, one for the rear suction line, and the third which feeds a single line to the compressor. (Edit: What I said here isn't correct, see the next two posts.)

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

(I edited your earlier picture... the OT from the Y-tube is at the top, OT from the condenser is on the bottom)

Those OT screens... ugh. It's a sorry sight when there's $h!t like that in the system.

It looks like the filter screen in the condenser OT collapsed, and I assume leaked, which would explain why the OT in the Y-tube caught some crud.

I also assume the rear TXV screen received as much crud as the Y-pipe OT's screen

I also wonder what your (soon to be "former") receiver / drier looks like on the inside. I've cut them open before just to see what, if anything, took up residence in the bottom of the can.

On your system... I see two suction lines which join just prior to the compressor. I assume your front system has the R/D in its suction line, yes(?), while the rear system's suction line has none.

I ask b/c on the 1996+ system (such as mine) the R/D has three fittings, one for the front evaporator discharge, one for the rear suction line, and the third which feeds a single line to the compressor.
Weird, my 99 Tahoes rear suction line does not enter the accumulator. My brothers 99 Suburban had the exact same setup.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird, my 99 Tahoes rear suction line does not enter the accumulator. My brothers 99 Suburban had the exact same setup.

Evidently I’m mistaken. Thanks for catching this.

I remember the R/D is different w/ and w/o rear A/C, and I was “quite certain” the R/D for those with rear A/C had an extra fitting, but as I look at RockAuto’s site I see it does not; this jibes with the suction hose image you posted.

Last edited:

Killerc998

Reaction score
I know this is a few days old. If you haven't gotten it all buttoned up, I got my rear burb ac lines to loosen up using a little Dextron and letting it sit overnight. Two big wrenches and they loosened without bending the lines.