95 suburban 2500 crap ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my experience 8 lug trucks ride pretty rough unless you have at least 1000 lbs in the bed (or cargo area in your case) or towing. Be sure to check the cab mounts. Not only were mine worn due to old age, but the back ones were extremely loose, I'm talking like just over hand tight.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If think about the basic physics. A vehicle assembled to carry and transport heavy load safely, all ways have a rough ride when empty. And the tire pressure rating on the tire is based on the tires load capacity. I.E. - Load capacity 3500 lbs.@ 45 psi. So tire capacity is one and three quarter tons. With tires at 45 psi. The maximum pressure is based on max load and that is to maintain the correct tire profile. That affects handling, tire heat through friction, and braking.
If are not carrying heavy weights or any significant loads try using 35 psi in your tires.
Buy a good ( trustworthy, quality, reliable, will survive abuse ) tire gauge. None of pencil plastic crap pen things. Get decent dail gauge with hold and release reset.
My uncle picked me to drive to Reno air race in 87 suburban , leave get gas. Hit the road.
Ok something is wrong, this thing bangs into every crack, seam, and pebble in highway. My fillings are coming loose.
Stop for burgers. Get tire gauge out of my toolbox. WTH, 40 to 45 in tires. Air down all to 33. Don't say anything. Rides a lot better, like a sub' should.
And sure my K3500 rides smother with a yard of gravel, or eight hay bales, ten bags of quicrete, it's where it's happy place is. It's a truck, you live with it.
There are things and techniques you can use to make a little more comfortable. It won't ride like a Cadillac CTS, and the CTS won't pull your toy hauler.
Good luck.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the new shocks something name brand, cheap, high dollar? the quality of shock absorbers is often related to their costs. I just put some new KYB Gas-A-Adjust ($50 each avg) for four new shocks on my 92 C2500 RWD. It rides very really nice now on some new Cooper HT3 245/75-16 tires. I've driven a C3500 and it's a much stiffer truck. Play with tire PSI a little and maybe consider adding some weight in the bed.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My C2500 Suburban has a crashy ride but I think it sounds worse than it actually is. The seat goes a long way to sparing my butt from the jolts that make it to the cabin.
At less than 50,000 miles and as far as I'm aware it has never towed, the suspension is in good shape with the exception perhaps of the dampers which are on the soft side. I tamed the worst of the crashiness by dropping tyre pressures (front 60psi and rear 80psi when I got the truck) and now run at around 40 and 45psi front/rear. I could go lower I suppose but I can live with how it is now.
It may not be the smoothest riding machine but the comfort of knowing that the bumps and potholes aren't going to break anything is compensation enough.