95 k2500 to 6.0l swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife drove it hard enough that the rings are finally seated... Debating if I should just knock it apart and do a bread hone and a quick and cheep rebuild while I'm at it.
If it's running good and the head gaskets aren't leaking, I'd leave the long block together, especially since you just got the rings to seat. Just replace the gaskets and seals that are leaking and run it. Check the timing chain while you have the front cover off; if it's not loose, leave it be. I'd save the rebuild for when it develops a real problem. If you're really concerned, get a second motor and rebuild it.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can rewire the stock harness to integrate into the original harness and use a 4L80E connector, but it will be time consuming. You may be better off just getting a stand alone harness with everything set up for your application. You could also get it set for DBC if you wanted to make the change. Of course a new throttle body and compatible tune/ECU would be needed. All depends on time you want to spend on wiring.

On a 95 most of the dash connections I needed to make could be made at the driver side bulkhead connector. I have not yet finished hooking up the AC but I recommend you leave the existing truck wiring in place if you keep AC.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Achillies Heel of the LS is the plastic lifter trays. 250k is right around when excess wear can show up and allow a lifter to spin in the bore. I don't know what the failure rate is though, and it might be something else that fails first.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO, the Achillies Heel of the LS is the plastic lifter trays. 250k is right around when excess wear can show up and allow a lifter to spin in the bore. I don't know what the failure rate is though, and it might be something else that fails first.
Cam bearings lol. I have not pulled a cam out of a 6.0L yet that a bearing did not walk out with the cam.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would be so much easier to put another tbi sbc in it or if I was going to change injection put a l29 in. I just want to be able to tune it and run lots of miles without issue.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should know this but what is the fix when cam bearing comes out with the cam

New bearings.

I've pulled at least 6 LS cams out and never had a bearing come out with it. So, I am not sure why someone else has had a 100% failure rate there.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not real knowledgeable on the LS. I was under the impression that the bell housings were different from the old small block. But I’m probably wrong.