95 k2500 suburban 454 SES code 36

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already love it ---Apparently I've been running around with my CAM position sensor at (-14 degrees). Turned the dizzy ccw and now @ 0 degrees ---much smoother running engine! Been flying blind without a scanner.
Now you got me wondering.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wasn't even throwing a code at -14 degrees! But finding it that far off and setting it to 0 degrees immediately settled the engine down ---much smoother.
Which kit or model did you buy? I tried the link but it wouldn't open. I'll start shopping around. Seems worth it to have it. I am very diesel savvy, but having to relearn some gas engine stuff.

On edit: looked on Ebay and see a version 10.2....does it matter which one? I am a TOTAL newb to this stuff.

Last edited:

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://askatech.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13935Which kit or model did you buy? I tried the link but it wouldn't open. I'll start shopping around. Seems worth it to have it. I am very diesel savvy, but having to relearn some gas engine stuff.

On edit: looked on Ebay and see a version 10.2....does it matter which one? I am a TOTAL newb to this stuff.
I recently bought a "well used" Snapon Solus Pro with Version 13.2 software on ebay for $400. Its the first SnapOn scanner I've owned so full disclosure I'm not qualified to exactly opine or provide experienced based recommendation(s) on the versions. But based on Schurkey's comment above my guess is that the 10.2 version was the 2nd release in 2010 which means it provides scanning, diagnostics, and bi-directional features for many domestic and import makes and models up to 2010. The 12.3 was the 3rd release in 2012 and so on....

In researching the Solus Pro subject before taking the purchase plunge I gleened that every passing year (version) includes newer vehicles AND additional interactive functions and feature sets. Furthermore backwards compatibility seems to be the general rule (for example the 10.2 version will support everything the 8.2 -10.1 versions supported), although, for some strange reason, occasional exceptions to this backwards compatibility exist (I've read claims that the programmers either forgot to include an earlier feature or decided to entirely abandon it due to pesty bugs or the law of unintended consequences). So you do need to exercise some caution and not blindly assume later versions ALWAYS support ALL earlier version function/feature sets. Here's a SnapOn support forum that covers some of these matters --- https://askatech.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13935

Thus far this scanner has already paid off in terms of my peace of mind in setting and verifying the CAM Retard is now within the +-2 degree spec (OCD sucks LOL). I'll be learning tons about the scanner's full capabilities in the weeks and months ahead. I'll post some of the more interesting learnings on a separate thread.

Last edited:

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently bought a "well used" Snapon Solus Pro with Version 13.2 software on ebay for $400. Its the first SnapOn scanner I've owned so full disclosure I'm not qualified to exactly opine or provide experienced based recommendation(s) on the versions. But based on Schurkey's comment above my guess is that the 10.2 version was the 2nd release in 2010 which means it provides scanning, diagnostics, and bi-directional features for many domestic and import makes and models up to 2010. The 12.3 was the 3rd release in 2012 and so on....

In researching the Solus Pro subject before taking the purchase plunge I gleened that every passing year (version) includes newer vehicles AND additional interactive functions and feature sets. Furthermore backwards compatibility seems to be the general rule (for example the 10.2 version will support everything the 8.2 -10.1 versions supported), although, for some strange reason, occasional exceptions to this backwards compatibility exist (I've read claims that the programmers either forgot to include an earlier feature or decided to entirely abandon it due to pesty bugs or the law of unintended consequences). So you do need to exercise some caution and not blindly assume later versions ALWAYS support ALL earlier version function/feature sets. Here's a SnapOn support forum that covers some of these matters --- https://askatech.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13935

Thus far this scanner has already paid off in terms of my peace of mind in setting and verifying the CAM Retard is now within the +-2 degree spec (OCD sucks LOL). I'll be learning tons about the scanner's full capabilities in the weeks and months ahead. I'll post some of the more interesting learnings on a separate thread.
Appreciate the in depth explanation. Yeah, the OCD gene landed in me as well. It's a PITA sometimes LOL