95 K2500 454 Running HOT--Advice??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, coming home yesterday from a 5 hour drive, I hit traffic on the interstate for about 30 minutes. I look down and my gauge is reading between the 210-260 mark! It never overhetaed, but once I got going, it did not come right back down like I thought it would. It did, but very slowly. I pulled over, checked the fan and it was spinning. The cooling fan as on as well. It has a new 185 thermostat in it. I pulled a 210 out of it. Coolant is full and green, no rust and not leaking. I have run it this way for a month with no issues. I am not sure what to think. Thermostat? Radiator? Fan Clutch?

Appreciate any input on where to start. Thanks!

Ryno3

Reaction score
IMO if you just replaced the thermostat I would check your fan clutch and verify the radiator is not dirty/obstructed. Had the new thermostat been functioning normally prior to this? How recent was the replacement? It might have had an air pocket if you had just replaced the T stat which could spike the gauge like you observed.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of possibilities. A new thermostat doesn't guarantee a good thermostat, nor does any new part. The thermostat could be faulty and restricting flow through the radiator, causing your overheat condition. Similarly, a poor press fit or spot weld on a water pump impeller could do the same. Those would both cause coolant flow issues, which would give you a very large temperature differential across the radiator. More than 20 or 25 degrees Fahrenheit. A failed fan clutch would definitely cause overheating at slow speeds due to lack of airflow. We call that a loss of cooling capacity, and you would expect to see a very small differential across the radiator. Say, less that 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Airflow restrictions through the core would cause the same thing.

You would be best served trying to recreate the problem, and checking the temp differential from the radiator inlet to the outlet with an infrared thermometer. That should put you in the right path.

All that being said, a couple of questions.

1. Did the fan get really loud once the engine was hot and you started moving again? At those temps, it should have locked in tight and roared like a 747 taking off. No noise could mean a failed clutch.

2. What work did you do to the truck recently? You mentioned a new T-stat. Is that all that you replaced?

The last possibility is that your gauge or probe aren't reading correctly and there is no overheating problem. That can be ruled out with the same infrared thermometer.

Let us know what you find.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, coming home yesterday from a 5 hour drive, I hit traffic on the interstate for about 30 minutes. I look down and my gauge is reading between the 210-260 mark! It never overhetaed, but once I got going, it did not come right back down like I thought it would. It did, but very slowly. I pulled over, checked the fan and it was spinning. The cooling fan as on as well. It has a new 185 thermostat in it. I pulled a 210 out of it. Coolant is full and green, no rust and not leaking. I have run it this way for a month with no issues. I am not sure what to think. Thermostat? Radiator? Fan Clutch?

Appreciate any input on where to start. Thanks!
Check the thermostat by dunking it in boiling water (use an old pot). You should see it open. It opens slowly, be patient.

You have the fan shroud installed?

Can you hook up a scanner and confirm the needle on the guage is accurate? I suppose double check everything. Fan clutch, belts, everything coolant related. I think you can open the radiator cap and give it gas and you should see the coolant flow inside increase.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback guys. Let me try to give as much data as I can. It did not repeat itself today. I replaced the Tstat about a month ago, so I kinda think it is not the issue. It seems to behave more like a fan clutch or a dirty/clogged radiator. I was just surprised how long it took to cool back down, but once it cooled back down, it stayed there. Today, it never got above the 185-190 mark. I also wondered if it was an air bubble from putting in a cooler Tstat. Just to be clear, I did nothing else to the cooling system and it was running just fine when I got the truck. I only wanted a cooler running Tstat because I live in Texas and the Colorado owner had a 210 in there. I figured that was a little hot. I have a 195 as well if I needed to upgrade a few degrees. Also, the fan did not get loud like I would have expected. It definitely made me wonder if the clutch was worn.

So, to recap, first time it has done this. It hasn't done it today in the same driving conditions. Tstat is new and coolant is green and clean from what I can see. The gauge "seems" to be accurate based on previous data and operation. Coolant level was not low.

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was this the first long road trip after replacing the t-stat? If so the high temp might have been the result of a vapor pocket burping its way past the temp sensor and finally into the top of the radiator. If it never overheats again then that was the cause. I've had this same thing occur before on 454s especially with cast iron heads ---they need alot of heat to burp up air pockets. Whenever I mess with the coolant system I run the engine hard (while in Park) with the radiator cap off until coolant burps up onto the fan and sprays all over the engine compartment and windshield (a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point).

Last edited: