95 K2500 454/NV4500 slow restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2blue4you

Reaction score
Today was a busy day. The truck wouldn't start in the morning, so I did some googling and made an educated guess that my ignition control module was bad. Picked one up at O'Rielly's and installed that, and it fired right up. This is pretty much the first time I've ever worked on a car so that felt really good. So happy when it started because I took the day off today to get caught up on this thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I headed over to DEQ and to the DMV for plates. Once I got back, my dad and I installed the new headunit and speakers. The inside of the door panels were filthy. There were even chunks of dirt in one of the speakers. Unfortunately my phone died and then it got dark so I don't have any good pictures.

DMV fees were $318
Spare fuses and ICM at O'Rielly's: $73

Thinking I will have to go back and get transmission resealed. It is leaking quite a bit. Don't want HOA to get mad. For now I will keep an eye on it.

Running Total: Approximately $5800

Still needs tires and likely suspension work, plus transmission reseal.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres not much to leak from on a standard trans, where is it leaking from? Could be just the PTO covers. Simple sillycone will fix that. I've wanted a truck like that for years. I had 2 1 tons, but were autos. Now I have kids so cant use a reg. cab lol. Now I have 2 of my dream trucks, crew cab short box's. Both 454s, both autos, but just bought a parts truck with the NV4500. One is SAS'd already, the other regular 6" IFS lift. I'd rebuild the front end before spend a dime on tires. Doesn't make sense to spend the money only to have them wear out cause of a loose front end.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might need to douse it in degreaser and pressure wash it, then see where it leaks. Could be simple as the PTO cover. But make sure you use the right oil!!!! The wrong oil will destroy the synchro's or shift forks, can't remember but need the right oil!!

2blue4you

Reaction score
Might need to douse it in degreaser and pressure wash it, then see where it leaks. Could be simple as the PTO cover. But make sure you use the right oil!!!! The wrong oil will destroy the synchro's or shift forks, can't remember but need the right oil!!
What are the PTO covers, google doesn't seem to be helping me sorry.

Here are some pics. Just been working on little stuff:

New weatherstripping

Here are the factory speakers.

Added these guys

Looks pretty good once I vacuumed it out. I think I need to keep the original paint and interior. I don't want a hotrod. I want to keep the old ranch truck vibe.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you look at the side of the trans you will see square-ish plates with bolts, think there’s 7-9 of em, can’t remember. It’s doubtful it’s from there, inless they were taken off for some reason.

2blue4you

Reaction score

Now at 176700 miles. So far I've driven it a little over 3k miles, including a trip out to Rexburg Idaho for memorial day weekend, and an overnight trip to Bend. It did great on the highway with Idaho's 80 mph limits, but I burned over $600 worth of fuel in a weekend. Keep forgetting to turn off my lights so I've had to ask strangers for a jump 4 times now... I may have toasted my battery. Shifting is getting little rougher, ordering some fluid tonight. Badly needs an alignment. Not getting any air from vents, even though the blower motor is running.

This thing makes me smile every time I drive it.

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No air from the vents, with the blower blowing, could be the blend door actuator motors. These trucks didn't use vacuum operated blend doors....they use an electrically operated motor to open and close the blend doors.
There are 3 of them. One is just to the right and I think slightly above the gas pedal. It's a rectangle shaped "box". Has a couple wires running to it, and that particular one has a flat bar with I think k 2 springs.
Another one under the dash below and left of the glove box. Same rectangle shap but no springs/linkages. It's harder to see or access.
The third one is ....can't hardly remember...maybe top side of duct work..way up in the dash...kind of in center. I'd have to look on a spare dash/duct assembly I have over at my shop.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Shifting getting rougher can also signify failing slave cylinder and/or clutch master cylinder. You can check for that by getting the vehicle perfectly still with the engine running and clutch out in neutral. Depress clutch, go for synchronized gear. Keep the clutch fully depressed, take it out of gear and wait five or ten seconds. Go for that same gear again. If it doesn't go right back in with no resistance, stuff is failing.