95 K1500 4x4 350 cid surging and driving me nuts!! Help please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsobieralski

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 1995 Chevy k1500 4x4 with a 350 in it. Last year it started to run rather poorly (I could not keep it running) and I thought it was the EGR. I replaced the EGR with no change. I read around in some forums and replaced the IAC, cap, rotor, and plugs. It was still running like crap. Later, I noticed that a hose was partially unplugged from the MAP and I plugged it in and it seemed to "mostly" fix the issue. Fast forward to 6 months later and it is doing the same thing. When you start it, it runs fine for about 3 minutes when in park. If you try to drive it, it bogs out and you have to put your foot to the floor in order to keep it moving. If you are at a stop it will surge and then die. I have been looking for vacuum leaks, but so far I can't find any. There is no CEL on and I am getting a little frustrated, so I thought that I would go to a forum where there are many others more knowledgeable than I am to help me out. I added a link to a video that shows it surging and dying. Thanks in advance.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/JqeQfh4kqfI

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 is OBD1, codes can be set without check engine light coming on.
Have you checked for any codes?

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rent a fuel pressure tester at autozone. Plug it in at the fuel filter or behind the throttle body supply. 95 is TBI still right? Or just go ahead and throw parts at it, but if just throwing parts at it, upgrade the fuel pump to a 96+ vortec one, they almost fit right in. Clean the ground at the tank as well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Codes can be useful.

More important is the data stream. Connect a scan tool, look for problems in the sensors and computer outputs.

Testing fuel pressure is important, too.

All the usual tune-up stuff needs to be verified--base timing, cap/rotor/plugs/plug wires, cranking compression, etc.