95 k1500 350 TBI bogging down when air temperature is cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright y'all, she's back with a vengeance. Hot air hose has been installed. The truck ran perfectly all week, until the snow hit. Now it's back to bogging down, so I'm thinking the active snow may have something to do with it?

I also had the CEL come back on with Code 13, but the O2 sensor was just replaced. What else would cause a code 13?

I've also noticed it's running colder than it should be according to the gauge in the cluster. I've replaced the temp sensor next to the thermostat, next up is the one on the driver's side of the engine. Does anyone know which one sends the readings to the gauge and which sends it to the ECM?

new doesn't mean its good, these days. what kind is it? was it heated?
I used an AC Delco professional 02 (heated) sensor for my replacement.

13Oxygen sensor (O2S)/heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) other causes ......Wiring open circuit, O2S/HO2S, ECM

lowkey

Reaction score
new doesn't mean its good, these days. what kind is it? was it heated?
I used an AC Delco professional 02 (heated) sensor for my replacement.

13Oxygen sensor (O2S)/heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) other causes ......Wiring open circuit, O2S/HO2S, ECM
I believe it was NGK brand, and it's a 3 wire so I believe that's heated

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there's a good section in the manual on troubleshooting 13. (you can download if you haven't already)
imo, i'd change the 02 sensor to AC Delco, if the wiring checks out.
you can test the circuit with a meter, after that you're gunna need a scanner.

lowkey

Reaction score
Well, I've been going over everything and I still can't find the issue. The truck is now throwing code 42 along with the code 13. I have been noticing that the temp gauge is on the colder side, probably sitting around 150°F-ish, and it fluctuates from 150ish to ALMOST 195.

Anyone have any god damn idea what the hell is going on here? Thing is driving me mental lol

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Three wire O2 sensor in a '95? Should just be a single wire type, verify that. Have you bought a scan tool yet? I use the venerable "brick" MT2500 from Snap-On. Although you'd want at least a MT2500G, so you can see the O2 sensor's cross counts all graphical like to verify it is doing what it should be doing.

A scanner would also let you see if the computer is registering knock events. I believe code 42 can set if the computer does not detect any knocking or any knocking during a self-test. A scanner would help you see what is going on.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Three wire O2 sensor in a '95? Should just be a single wire type, verify that.

95 TBI 5.7 with 4L60e uses a heated 02 sensor.

42Ignition control module (ICM) – electronic spark timing (EST)/ignition control (IC)/bypass circuit malfunctionWiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, ICM, ECM

could be you have more than 1 issue.....
factory temp guages are notoriously inaccurate, but from your description, mines acts similar. You could use a temp gun to verify temps easy enough.

does the 42 code return if you clear it?

Last edited:

lowkey

Reaction score
Three wire O2 sensor in a '95? Should just be a single wire type, verify that. Have you bought a scan tool yet? I use the venerable "brick" MT2500 from Snap-On. Although you'd want at least a MT2500G, so you can see the O2 sensor's cross counts all graphical like to verify it is doing what it should be doing.

A scanner would also let you see if the computer is registering knock events. I believe code 42 can set if the computer does not detect any knocking or any knocking during a self-test. A scanner would help you see what is going on.
Working on getting a scanner, they're hard to find around me so it's taking longer than I'd like unfortunately

lowkey

Reaction score
95 TBI 5.7 with 4L60e uses a heated 02 sensor.

42Ignition control module (ICM) – electronic spark timing (EST)/ignition control (IC)/bypass circuit malfunctionWiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, ICM, ECM

could be you have more than 1 issue.....
factory temp guages are notoriously inaccurate, but from your description, mines acts similar. You could use a temp gun to verify temps easy enough.

does the 42 code return if you clear it?
I cleared the codes today and haven't noticed the engine light on yet, but it took a month and almost 1000km of driving with the issue before the last check engine light came on, so it could be awhile before it reappears lol. While I was tinkering with it, I did clean up all the ground wires attached to the thermostat housing as they were looking worn.

I will keep you guys updated as I go, thanks for all the support! This forum is amazing

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cleared the codes today and haven't noticed the engine light on yet, but it took a month and almost 1000km of driving with the issue before the last check engine light came on, so it could be awhile before it reappears lol. While I was tinkering with it, I did clean up all the ground wires attached to the thermostat housing as they were looking worn.

I will keep you guys updated as I go, thanks for all the support! This forum is amazing
Check and clean the engine to frame ground cable. Or better yet, replace it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleared the codes today and haven't noticed the engine light on yet
OBDI PCMs don't always keep the SES light on all the time but, they will store the code(s) for ~35 - 40 key cycles. Check for codes again just to be sure...