95 GMC C1500 with L29 454 and 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased this today. Its got a lot of minor to medium bugs, but the price was right and I figured I might like the truck with a bit of TLC.
Its a V6 manual truck that someone has dropped a 454 L29 and 4l80e but a lot of it is sloppy. One of my biggest complaints is they swapped in an auto transmission column but not the automatic cluster. So you sort of have to feel the gear position. That's what I am going to work on first. They used an LS swap style (cut down) harness and ecm to make the swap. It needs some help wiring wise but I figured I would take it one step at a time.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I hope the gas struts work on that fiberglass lid..... my dad had one on his old 96 with thoroughly worn out struts, and it was like shoulder pressing the whole truck to open it.

Looks like a great project!

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the struts work. I am not sure if I am going to keep that cover on there. Sort of hard to use the bed for anything big.

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point, I may switch them. They seem to be the same style era as the paint. The old 90s style paint I am not crazy about either, but its not falling off. There is a lot on the truck I do not personally like, but there are more pressing issues.

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I put a 1988-1994 steering wheel on the 95? Its got a tiny 13" grant wheel that I am not in love with. I see where someone's already removed the air bag wire when they did this. I don't want an air back back but like OEM steering wheels better than the Grant.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
95-97 had the same wheel, so that would bolt on for sure. Pretty sure the 98-00 also fits.

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, but 95 and up had air bags. I would rather put an early wheel on it if I can find one in good shape. I like the look better and my airbag wire is already removed.

DonF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt have any other transmission behind a 454. The 4l80e is just fine, for cruising or a trip to the drags. With a ten bolt, not sure the rear could take the abuse of a stick.