95 dash replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello
has anyone succeeded in disconnecting the harness from the dash, after tilting it back, and then remove it without the harness? rather than disconnecting everything from the engine bay.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah.. I mean.. you can, it's just not fun. And you aren't necessarily disconnecting everything from the engine bay, meaning, all the separate sensors and other connectors. Mostly you're just disconnecting the firewall blocks.

You can definitely pull the dash without the harness, it's just a lot of poking around behind it where it's hard to see what you're doing or even looking for.

Either way you go, it's going to just take patience and gentle poking around to find what's hanging up the removal. No biggie.

Richard

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
That's the method I used, when I replaced the dash in my 96. I was having trouble getting to the screws, to separate the harness at the fire wall, so separated the wires from the dash instead. It was actually pretty easy, just got to remove the duct work, so you can see everything, and take your time.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the method I used, when I replaced the dash in my 96. I was having trouble getting to the screws, to separate the harness at the fire wall, so separated the wires from the dash instead. It was actually pretty easy, just got to remove the duct work, so you can see everything, and take your time.
What seems to trip people up on the later style firewall block like in your '96 is there is a Torx head screw buried in the center of the block and it's captive. So once you loosen it enough it still doesn't come out of the block, but you can then separate the block.

Richard

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I was swapping dashes, so I was going to strip it anyway. I could probably use the same method now, and have them swapped in 30-45 minutes. It really was no trouble at all.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
We pulled the junkyard dash, just lowering the column(no seats in the way), but it's definitely way easier if you remove it. I took mine out, to do the swap, and it allows you to see the back side very well.

There's a joint in the column under the dash, and two bolts holding it to the dash. Pop those out, and unplug it, set it out of the way.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just seconding, dropping it all the way down is more than enough to get the dash out. Seat does indeed need to be out of the way. This is from a full interior swap between a pair of trucks.. you'll note I left the harnesses in place.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard