95 Chevrolet k1500 5.7 tbi issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Since everyone suggests fixing the tbi, I’ll see what I can get. So we just put new distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, plugs and wires. New fuel pump and filter, new IAC valve, new throttle position sensor, and at one point new map sensor but the old and new didn’t make a difference. The truck when we got it had a terrible idling issue where it would hardly stay idling and wouldn’t hardly start at all and you had to wait before starting it and it’d kick over and you’d have to two foot it to drive it but it would drive fine with plenty of power. Now after we replaced all that stuff, it still surging in idle occasionally (only when warm) and bogs down hard when a/c and lights kick on and surges, then it will smooth out. Then after you get it to smooth out, it’ll stall completely when it goes in gear and then won’t start back up. You have to wait 10-15 minutes and try to crank it and it’ll hit once and the second time it’ll start if you give some gas and it’ll surge again and rinse and repeat. Happens every time you want to drive it. Then once you get it driving and going, it’s just like normal with no surging or two footing, or anything but problems start when the truck shuts off for a while and you wanna go somewhere else. Just about 30 minutes ago I got stuck at Wendy’s becaus truck wouldn’t even start up at all, cranked over multiple times and wouldn’t even kick. Then we took air breather off and tried it and it started right up and drive home. With air breather off, it seems to hesitate when you try to rev it up a little and will bog down a little if you quick rev it and let the rpms go down. At a loss here. Sorry for the huge paragraph.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has air, it has spark. Betting fueling issue. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge for free at autozone. I stuck it down at the fuel filter since my truck had hard lines to the TBI that were bolted in place to the block. Then could be clogged or bad injector? If you are super careful, you can remove the TBI and injectors case. Then see if maybe the screens in the injectors are clean? Do not tighten them back down much, I have a snapped one as proof that metal is very brittle.

Reaction score
It has air, it has spark. Betting fueling issue. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge for free at autozone. I stuck it down at the fuel filter since my truck had hard lines to the TBI that were bolted in place to the block. Then could be clogged or bad injector? If you are super careful, you can remove the TBI and injectors case. Then see if maybe the screens in the injectors are clean? Do not tighten them back down much, I have a snapped one as proof that metal is very brittle.
I am going to check fuel pressure, check for vacuum leaks and look at injectors to see if they are spraying good because I don't feel like tearing into a TBI right now lol

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if it has correct fuel pressure, doesn't mean the injector screens aren't clogged up.