95 C2500 pancake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the plan currently for the aux lights, especially when I get those amber running lights on 'em since they're white as stock, can't have that :Big Laugh: And now I can mount the switches on the overhead console :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, fun times. Noticed this when leaving home and thought I should maybe take a look at that some day.

Then noticed the heat climbing and not falling back down from 210F° and fast forward a few minutes as we limped backwards to a store parking lot:

This was after a few minutes tho, I opened up the tank to see what's up, ain't nothing going on there, figured there might be a blockage somewhere and as I was getting a screwdriver my gf yelled out that there's a weird noise and then the sumbitch started gargling and spewing fluids... Also lost heat which was odd, but decided it's alright, just confused and so we limped on to get more glykol. Then we went home, ate, and tried to leave for our trip again, which now worked, the temps were fine and all, but; no heat. And I had to keep her blowing so the windows wouldn't fog up. Would've been ok if it wasn't below - 10C°... Any idea on this, maybe the heater done run dry or something? I know why she overheated, has leaked too much, it's been a few thousand kilometres since I filled up on the old cold juice, but losing heat was unexpected and pretty inconvinient, especially since we're due to drive a 600km round trip and then at the end of february we're supposed to drive a rough 1000km's to lapland for a week. That without heat, especially in way beyond - 20C° temps in lapland ain't gonna be too much fun

*edit*
I think I figured out the heat problem. Someone only bought 5 liters of coolant, turns out these things take in roughly 26 liters, if I were to believe the googled quarts to liters results... Oh if for once I did some research before jumping in head first :Insane:

Last edited:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after airing the cooling system a lot, cycling a coolant flush in the system and airing it a lot more, I got some heat out of it, but apparently only a part of the blockage in the heater core came out. The air blowing out is warm, but in temperatures below - 20°C it didn't exactly keep us too warm. Better than cold though, so I ain't really complaining. Got a whole lotta stuff to do in the coming few weeks, updates to come when I get started

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So after airing the cooling system a lot, cycling a coolant flush in the system and airing it a lot more, I got some heat out of it, but apparently only a part of the blockage in the heater core came out. The air blowing out is warm, but in temperatures below - 20°C it didn't exactly keep us too warm. Better than cold though, so I ain't really complaining. Got a whole lotta stuff to do in the coming few weeks, updates to come when I get started
IIRC a liter is 33.7 liquid ounces, and a quart is 32 liquid ounces. And 4 quarts make a gallon, so 128 liquid ounces. So a gallon ( which is how antifreeze is sold in the United States) is a little less than 4 liters. 3.78 liters to be exact.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
IIRC a liter is 33.7 liquid ounces, and a quart is 32 liquid ounces. And 4 quarts make a gallon, so 128 liquid ounces. So a gallon ( which is how antifreeze is sold in the United States) is a little less than 4 liters. 3.78 liters to be exact.

This hurt my brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The worry and fear of the little old head gaskets that no more could is growing. She's eating up a little and I can't seem to keep the temps constant. Ain't had the overheating problem anymore really, but at first the temps will rise up to 210F, then drop to 160F and then it'll fluctuate between the two the rest of the way. I really don't want to take off the heads, but it seems I might have to, I just hope they'll last until summer. ATM I'm broke and changing head gaskets out in the cold ain't too desirable. Also I need the car and that will be a hell of a job, because diesel. Damn injector lines... Also I don't want to open it up and find any cracks...

On a more positive note, I mounted the Hellas on the bumper for now. It'll be a while until I can get the roof racks and wiring done, so I decided I want to put them to use 'cause lets face it, the stock highs suck. My father welded up the mount from angle iron we had left over, and while the welds are a little sketchy, they've hold up so far. Reason for the doubt is that the welder that he used was an old shitbrand one that didn't feel like working in the cold. Bolted it on straight to the bumper bolts. These are really helpful, the lights are a little bit too much of a spot, but now that they've been aligned nicely, they give out a long constant beam that lights up the road further away, and that was much needed. Can't wait to make the new light harness with 4-hi and higher gauge wiring :burnout:

Sorry for the dirty truck, ain't had time to wash her

*EDIT*: The temps fall down to 185F, not 160F, the problem isn't quite that drastic

Last edited:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I understand quarters as an easy way to measure stuff, 25%, but where ever do those ounces and gallons originate from..? Like stones for weight :anitoof: I always thought we had it hard, having to remember where the comma goes when converting from milliliters, to desiliters, to liters, or kilograms. I won't be whining next time someone asks about 'em after reading that :Big Laugh:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some 2500km lapland trip later, pancake is still ticking. Had my doubts about the trip, but she made it, didn't even hesitate much on the cold starts, except that one -20something morning after sitting for a few days. Sure was purty up there, but due to the 'rona and the weather, we couldn't do much there. Just a little trecking and walks outside. At least it was pretty.

Here's a couple pics to give y'all an idea of the amounts of snow and all, and then there's pancake and my folks's merc. Got a lot more pics, but they're all on film that hasn't been developed yet, didn't really take that much pics with my phone.

Then here's a few pics after our drive home. The temps changed to +0-2 degrees somewhere after halfway down the country and there was salt being spread right after rovaniemi, which is about 2 hours down from where we were, and in these next pics you can see the amount of salt they spread during those 12-13 hours after rovaniemi...

Could barely see through my windows and the side mirrors were just pure white...
Then this here last one was on monday because I just had to. The little things, especially when it was there in between the normal little cars :Big Laugh:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, it's about to be an end of an era, this thread is about to be laid low. I posted pancake up for sale. The extended cab is just too small because I regularly transport more than 1 person in the truck and the rear seat is just a pain in the ass to get to and stay in for anyone over 160cm's... On that note, I am not swaying away from gmt400's tho, I've got my eye on a little more trashy 1995 crew cab long bed with a NV4500 mated to a 6.5td and a bench seat up front. It needs some work, but seeing how pancake is a little more valuable due to the condition and mileage, I should have a few grand left over for smaller and bigger stuff. We'll see how fast she sells, or if she does, but until then I'll be doing a little fixing here and there, swap the stock mirrors and chevy grille on and that sorta stuff.