95 C2500 pancake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time for an update folks! Now, I'm gonna warn ya, what I've done has made my pretty little truck look a whole lot older and used up and, well, kinda ugly. Buuut, when I'm done with it, it'll be better, trust me!
You must be registered for see images attach

I got a topper! While this year has been an exception, usually we get a lot of snow and rain, so my bed has been kinda useless for transporting anything when the weather isn't good. We also do a lot of camping and trekking with my gf and the tent life is... Troublesome. It was nice in the army, when we had those big tents made for a dozen persons and a wood stove for heat, but the tent we have is for exactly 2 persons. No more. It's a little cramped even for one. Now, it works, but even sitting up is not an option for a normal person, and I'm a bit of a big boy in terms of height, so this ol camper shell will allow a little more headroom, not to mention the advantage of the long bed.

Now the reason I got it, next to all the aforementioned things, was the price. Which strongly correlates with the condition of the topper. But snatching it for cheap has got me something that I can modify without stings to my heart and wallet. I'm going to be installing the 5 red markers on the roof facing rearwards, we'll coat the inside with that insulating mat stuff and build ventilation and most importantly, paint it to match the truck, just to mention a few things that are coming. Maybe even a roof rack at some point. But as I mentioned, with the low cost comes maintenance. For starters there are no locks and all the rubber weatherproofing has seen a lot of weather and a whole lot of backyard soil. Also, there is no window in the front, just a thick rubber running along the sides and top that's supposed to fit snuggly with the cab rear wall. Likeky it has at some point, but I can assure you, it ain't doing it's thing anymore.

Also, I have a few questions I was hoping some of y'all could anwser, firstly, does anyone know what brand cap is this thing? Can't seem to find any logos or text anywhere, and I've tried to comb the interwebs for old catalogues or something, but no luck. Then secondly, how strong do you figure the gas struts are that should hold the rear up? I'm guessing 100-150 Newtons, but again, all the markings on the one strut that still exists are gone, so this is pure guesswork, and this is one of the first things I want to fix because it is very inconvenient having to hold the lid up with your hands full.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say it's time for an update again. There's been kind of a lot going on with pancake lately, both negative and positive. Firstly, she's developed a problem that is kind of dangerous, usually when revving up to 2k she'll suddenly kick everything in, throw the revs to the max and push out smoke blacker than y'all ever seen. Then when you hit the brake, it calms down, but keeps the revs steady, like cruise, slightly declining, and the throttle pedal becomes an on/off button. Eventually it'll just go away and you can drive normally again, but sometimes it cuts all power and when you try to give 'er gas, it throws the revs up and down, up and down. Gonna try and borrow a pmd from somewhere to test, but other than that, don't really have a clue of what's causing it. On a more positive note, I have finally ordered a new mask and corner lenses. I also found a roof console to install and after a year of postponing it, finally wired up the mirrors to have parks!

More updates to come when the mask arrives and so forth!

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your landscape sure looks a lot like back home in MI's upper peninsula. Must be an up north thing.

How's it like there? Out here in southwestern Finland we've got some lot of hills, a whole lot of fields and even more forests, of course including the archipelago.

I think the amount of forests in the whole land area of Finland is 73% or something like that, then like 10% of water, as in lakes rivers etc and the rest is I believe farmfield. Gotta try and get y'all some more scenery pictures, including pancake, naturally :D

Last edited:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've come to give you a little sneak peek and lighten up the thread! I've been traveling a lot for the past month and a little extra with my girlfriend, half of which was with ole trusty pancake! We racked up over 2200 kilometres on that trip and she did not miss a beat! That did require a new coolant temp sensor (yes, again) and a PMD prior to the drives... Now, I'll post more pics of what's been happening and what's coming up during my quarantine after I get home in a few days. But now, here's something to keep the thread alive:

Last edited:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aaaaaalright, here we go. So, as I mentioned, been travelling for a while, first a trip to north eastern Finland as a bitty summer vacation, that happened with pancake. We did take the tent with us, but mainly we stayed in the bed. Now, while I thought I had made the cap weatherproof enough, the first night of the trip it started raining and proved me wrong, as water was pouring in :doh2:
the ventilation that had weatherproofing, had it around the base between the top and the cap roof. But the screws? Nothing between there, so we had to dodge drips every few seconds. Also the old window seals are absolutely done, and I need to look around and see if I can get new ones from somewhere, or potentially the whole window assembly. Also what I found weird was the amount of condensation, even though I put 2 vents with fans, one sucking air in and the other pushing it out. But well, I guess that will be fixed with the roof liner at some point.

There's the setup inside the bed. Thought it'd be smart to put in a tarp to keep most dirt and other stuff outside, but I did not take the topper leaking into consideration, so that tarp was a little +-0. The fan vents are actually made for boats, and are powered by their own little sun cells and work really nice, keep the inside a bit more livable and cool. Other things I did to the shell, was I got gas struts and new locking T-handles for it, which were both a pain in the rear, because none are commonly distributed items, and with the struts I found the next best configuration compared to the original, even though it wasn't nearly as good, but what can ya do, and the most important bit is that they work. They are much too strong tho, but I hope they'll loosen up with age, because it's a bit of a struggle even for me to get it down with one hand, not to mention my gf who's a whole lot shorter than me :D Also it shoots up with such power I'm afraid it's gonna break the cap if you don't raise it while holding it back. I also did some fiberglass work on the front of the cap, where there were cracks in all 4 corners around the front window. Well, it must've been some pretty ****** work from me, as when we lifted the cap on the truck a few days later, it started cracking... Well, at least the outside remained pretty solid because it didn't leak :Big Laugh: and so, after that was done, I installed a front window with my father, from a plexiglass I had ordered cut to length and width, only had to cut in the corners and it fit beautifully. Went and did a thick sealant run around the edges, pressed the plexiglass on and screwed it in place. One other thing I also did, was I installed these weatherproofing strips to the bottom edges of the cap, in order to prevent it from scraping the remaining paint off of my bedside tops, and as the name already states, weatherproof the cap, so there won't be anything blowing in from between the bed and cap. Unfortunately I seem to have been just working and haven't taken a single pic of anything relating to the cap repairs.
So, onto pics of the trip itself, on which we hiked a bit over 50 kilometres in a little over a week. Now, that might not sound like much, but we visited a whole lot of places and usually only stayed in one place for a day, 2 max.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After that trip we spent a few days home and then traveled to Denmark, where we did a road trip from north to south via the west coast in a sex-oozing, awe inspiring, 508D Mercedes RV, straight out of 1984 :boobs:

That old panty dropper is a project car my parents bought a while back, and so after fixing up every vital thing, we stole it for the two week trip. Now of course, because of corona, it wasn't all just for fun trip, the main reason we did it is because my gf got an exchange spot in the university of Copenhagen. And while it was an awesome trip with so many beautiful sights, it doesn't really belong on this forum. So, back to my little itty bitty little truck, after I got back home from Denmark, I've been in quarantine so I've had time to tinker, and the main subject is the new grille. Now, I've had the grille itself for some months, but thanks to USPS, the corner markers were on the way for, waait for it....... 3 months. The thing that was most infuriating was how hard it is to contact them, and in the end the best I could do was file a missing mail search. fast forward to yesterday (The lights arrived last week), I got an email from them, saying that they're very sorry, but the package has not been found. Sorry about that, and use us in the future as well. That was all I got, a small apology. Now, since I got the lights after all, I wasn't that mad, but what if the package never arrived and it was something much more valuable? Not to put this down either tho, all in all, with the taxes and delivery the lights cost me ~70 euros if I remember correctly... Well, anyhow, I've been tinkering with the grille and it's starting to come together.

First thing I did, was cut the center off the grille and then I measured and cut the mesh to size:

Then I bended the edges of the mesh inwards, and test fit:

Another test fit with the badge on the grille, had to cut and modify the tabs in the back a lot, but now it fits in the mesh holes. Now I just gotta think of a way to fasten it, and I also need a bowtie badge about the same size, to insert on the left side of the text badge:

Truth be told, I'd have wanted the middle to be a little darker, but eh, this is fine, it still looks reeeeeaally good. And there won't be another one like mine, I can guarantee that :D. Now, since I'm in quarantine, I can't go shopping myself, so now I'm waiting for my mom to go buy some M4x20mm bolts, nuts and washers, so I can attach the mesh to the grille. Updates will follow once that is done!

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Love that grille mod. Something I've been thinking about doing for a while but could never really think how to do it so it looked right. Very clean and looks great like the whole truck!

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a new grille for the whole time I've had the truck, but more vital things always came up first, and being a student, most of my money goes to rent and food, so all I make during the summer usually gets put to the truck. So I've had a lot of time to think about the grille, but for the most of the time I was leaning on the facelift Chevy grille. Then only recently I came to realise the pre-facelift GMC grille excists, and after I started to fiddle with that idea, there was no turning back. And I still wanted to keep her a Chevy, so that's when I came up with the badges. Nice to hear somebody else likes it as well, and I tell ya, once you get it figured out, it's pretty easy to do