95 5 speed swap, almost done what else do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironjet

Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve been in the middle of swapping my 4l60e for a nv3500. (95, 305. 4x4)
I used a 98 5 speed with the internal slave. So far I’ve put about 6K miles on it , this has been with the ecm from the auto still installed . It runs ok , but it’s not great. I’ve got the egr and knock sensor listed for the manual transmission , and the ecm with the right chip is on its way
Is there anything else that’s 5 speed specific that I need to change?

Broc458

Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve been in the middle of swapping my 4l60e for a nv3500. (95, 305. 4x4)
I used a 98 5 speed with the internal slave. So far I’ve put about 6K miles on it , this has been with the ecm from the auto still installed . It runs ok , but it’s not great. I’ve got the egr and knock sensor listed for the manual transmission , and the ecm with the right chip is on its way
Where did you buy the ECM and chip for the 305 manual combo?

Broc458

Reaction score
Where did you buy the ECM and chip for the 305 manual combo?

Ironjet

Reaction score
I bought the ecm from rock auto, the chip I bought on eBay, however the 4l60e computer has different connectors than the manual computer. That’s what I get for not doing enough research

I did end up putting the new egr valve on , and between that and a new fuel filter it runs fine on the stock computer

my next purchase will be an OBD1 scanner for sure though

Miki

Reaction score
Hello guys! A newbie from overseas - you got a great forum here! I don't want to open a new tread since a lot already have been discussed here and elsewhere. I am also considering a 5 speed swap (nv4500) on my 1995 K2500 Sierra (350, 4l80e) as a future project. I just wanted to ask - do I really need to buy the ECM for a 5 speed truck, or as you wrote here the engine will still run with the original ECM ? Thanks in advance, Miki