95 5.7 Tbi Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After taking the serpentine belt off and running it( to rule out accessories) take the valve covers off and check valve lash, could be your rockers are worn out

Explain the sound better and when it happens... I though driveline too but you may have said, the issue also appears in neutral/park yes?
And be best way I can describe what the noise sounds like is just imagine taking a pulley with bad bearings and spinning it as hard as you can

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Ok my power steering pump experience. I had a squeak under the hood, and no self respecting shade tree mechanic can a let squeak go un resolved on a vehicle everyone knows he works on. it would come and go. I replaced the water pump, alternator, AC clutch bearing, idler and tensioner bearings. So i had it narrowed down to the steering pump lol. So i bought a new pump, i found out you need to pull the pump pulley to get it out so i bought a pulley puller/install kit. Anyways when i went to pull the pulley, i looked like it was pressed on too far, this was confirmed by the scrape marks on the back of the pulley hence the squeak. I had the new pump and a pulley so i replaced it all anyway. But it was just the old pulley rubbing the bolts behind it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've listened to it about a dozen times. I'm not hearing a bearing grind or whine. I hear a low pitched rattle that comes and goes a couple times through the video. More like loose torque converter bolts,bad bushing, or bearing in trans. Something that is allowing something to move around.

Sounds don't always radiate from where they are actually originating. If you can't duplicate it sitting there running and it's only happening under load I'm also of the thoughts that it's coming from somewhere from the flexplate back.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I had an alternator make a lot of racket and it was confirmed when it locked up and burned the belt off.

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've listened to it about a dozen times. I'm not hearing a bearing grind or whine. I hear a low pitched rattle that comes and goes a couple times through the video. More like loose torque converter bolts,bad bushing, or bearing in trans. Something that is allowing something to move around.

Sounds don't always radiate from where they are actually originating. If you can't duplicate it sitting there running and it's only happening under load I'm also of the thoughts that it's coming from somewhere from the flexplate back.
Sorry for the late response guys I’ve been at the deer camp and haven’t had good service all weekend...but could you specify more on it coming from the flex plate?i know how the torque converter bolts up I don’t guess it would hurt to pop the inspection cover and check them

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Think ive heard that noise you describe, kinda low pitch but has a ringing quality to it. Mine was doing that too, i thought it might be an exhaust rattle. Then my tranny took a crap and i had to have it rebuilt. Ill have to go take a listen and see if its still there. I torqued everything properly, and locktite, when installing this trany, first time for me. Never had a torque wrench before. Way easier with a 3in body lift too.

Last edited:

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think ive heard that noise you describe, kinda low pitch but has a ringing quality to it. Mine was doing that too, i thought it might be an exhaust rattle. Then my tranny took a crap and i had to have it rebuilt. Ill have to go take a listen and see if its still there. I torqued everything properly, and locktite, when installing this trany, first time for me. Never had a torque wrench before. Way easier with a 3in body lift too.
Just lemme know man I appreciate it like i said it only seems to be there when driving because I can rev the truck all day in park and it’s not present...

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I’m gonna try and get a better video for y’all I know that ones not the best just what I had at the moment

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Just lemme know man I appreciate it like i said it only seems to be there when driving because I can rev the truck all day in park and it’s not present...

well its not making that noise now, i never heard it except when the truck was idling, and i was loading or unloading stuff from the back. Just exhaust noise now