95 5.7 Tbi Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m honestly leaning towards the power steering pump the pulley has a slight wobble to it and the noise seems to be on that side of the motor

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm I listened earlier when it was idling and I could faintly hear the noise it’s definitely somewhere on the front of the motor and we can rule out the frontend I just completely rebuilt it new wheel bearings ect..

In that case I second removing the belt and firing it up, if the noise is gone then you know it’s somewhere in the accessories, if not then it’s internal and possibly signs of a much bigger issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In that case I second removing the belt and firing it up, if the noise is gone then you know it’s somewhere in the accessories, if not then it’s internal and possibly signs of a much bigger issue.

i agree I’ll definitely try to do this later on,what’s your thoughts on it being the ps pump?

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i agree I’ll definitely try to do this later on,what’s your thoughts on it being the ps pump?

Hopefully that’s what it is, much easier repair than a main bearing, crank or cam issue. Either way glad you heard it, on my 90 I cant hear anything under the hood except the roar of the TBI sucking in air, after the new intake manifold gasket, spacer plate and salad bowl it sounds like a jumbo jet preparing for takeoff lol

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully that’s what it is, much easier repair than a main bearing, crank or cam issue. Either way glad you heard it, on my 90 I cant hear anything under the hood except the roar of the TBI sucking in air, after the new intake manifold gasket, spacer plate and salad bowl it sounds like a jumbo jet preparing for takeoff lol

Lol yeah the pump also whines a little bit so that’s another thing leading me to believe what it is,my truck doesn’t have but 187,000 and the oil has been changed every 3k since it rolled off the lot so I’m really hoping it’s nothing internal either way I’d like the peace of mind knowing it’s fixed whatever it is

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't really hear anything besides the tires and exhaust in that video. If it's an accessory it should make the noise while stopped and revving in park or neutral. If the noise is still present then take the serpentine belt off and do what has been described above.

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my mechanic look at it and drive it he shifted through all the gears manually...noise was still present we got going about 75 on the highway and he cut the truck off,and he claimed he still heard the noise when the motor wasn’t running but I didn’t so idk he pretty much gave me the drive it till whatever it is breaks attitude..so idk

Wrench

Reaction score
After taking the serpentine belt off and running it( to rule out accessories) take the valve covers off and check valve lash, could be your rockers are worn out

Explain the sound better and when it happens... I though driveline too but you may have said, the issue also appears in neutral/park yes?

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After taking the serpentine belt off and running it( to rule out accessories) take the valve covers off and check valve lash, could be your rockers are worn out

Explain the sound better and when it happens... I though driveline too but you may have said, the issue also appears in neutral/park yes?
Actually I’ve confirmed the noise only happens when driving I’m completely baffled at what it may be???the motor runs very smooth and the noise isn’t present when reveing in park???it definitely sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of engine bay maybe loose bolt where exhaust bolts up???