94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Seats work like they should. I love it when a plan goes as intended.

So here’s what’s left to do:

Interior:

(1) buy the adjustable vss chip to get my speedometer closer to accurate (2) Make the corrections to my lights in the fuse box, (3) install a new stereo, (4) buy some gray floor mats and that will finish the inside.

Exterior:

(1) New fender flares, (2) 6” lift kit, (3) new wheels and tires—> 35x12.50x18, (4) power heated signal mirrors, (5) cable operated front axle shaft disconnect.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I forgot I hadn’t posted a picture of my upper radiator hose revision.

You must be registered for see images attach

It’s a combination of several different hoses, but the curved one from the radiator is from a 5.3 suburban.

I setup a battery disconnect inside the cab until I figure out what is causing the battery drain, if I ever do, but if not I have a cure for it.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
In spirit of my three year anniversary on this site I present to you a milestone I achieved with my truck earlier this month.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a good picture of the new engine finally. I had sent it to my girlfriend.

I know this is an old thread but im just looking through and i just have to know what is done to this motor it looks amazing!!

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but im just looking through and i just have to know what is done to this motor it looks amazing!!

A whole bunch is the quick answer, and about 5 grand in money spent, that’s oil pan to throttle body.

From the top to bottom:
1) k&n air filter top and sides

2) Morse ported throttle body

3) Air raid tb spacer (red swirly one)

4) GM performance parts Vortec/tbi intake

5) 906 vortec heads with stock valve springs -good for up to .480 lift

6) stock push rods / stock vortec valve covers

7) mellings MTC-1 cam (summit racing has the specs, but it’s much better than stock and presumably the largest one you can run with the stock fuel system) this is a flat tappet cam

8) standard replacement timing set

9) reworked short block with .040 pistons

10) standard volume oil pump, and stock capacity oil pan. I’m unsure of rod bearing size and what was done to the crankshaft if anything, or if it was new.

11) new computer chip burned by fastchip in Tulsa Oklahoma

I have never had it on a dyno, but the man who built my engine who is very well known in my old town, guesstimates 350-360 horsepower and 360-370 torque.

My thoughts on his guesswork is pretty damn close if not spot on, because my parts breakage after the fact racked up three transmissions and a rear axle. I’m running a 5 speed manual, so the three that broke were the light duty nv3500’s and the original 10 bolt finally went.
Since then it has been fitted with a rebuilt nv4500 manual transmission and a rebuilt semi float 14 bolt rear axle. I’m running 4.10 gears in the diffs from the original 3.73’s.

It’s fantastic to drive if you don’t mind buying a ton of gas, because it’s consistently getting 13mpg.

Last edited:

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A whole bunch is the quick answer, and about 5 grand in money spent, that’s oil pan to throttle body.

From the top to bottom:
1) k&n air filter top and sides

2) Morse ported throttle body

3) Air raid tb spacer (red swirly one)

4) GM performance parts Vortec/tbi intake

5) 906 vortec heads with stock valve springs -good for up to .480 lift

6) stock push rods / stock vortec valve covers

7) mellings MTC-1 cam (summit racing has the specs, but it’s much better than stock and presumably the largest one you can run with the stock fuel system) this is a flat tappet cam

8) standard replacement timing set

9) reworked short block with .040 pistons

10) standard volume oil pump, and stock capacity oil pan. I’m unsure of rod bearing size and what was done to the crankshaft if anything, or if it was new.

11) new computer chip burned by fastchip in Tulsa Oklahoma

I have never had it on a dyno, but the man who built my engine who is very well known in my old town, guesstimates 350-360 horsepower and 360-370 torque.

My thoughts on his guesswork is pretty damn close if not spot on, because my parts breakage after the fact racked up three transmissions and a rear axle. I’m running a 5 speed manual, so the three that broke were the light duty nv3500’s and the original 10 bolt finally went.
Since then it has been fitted with a rebuilt nv4500 manual transmission and a rebuilt semi float 14 bolt rear axle. I’m running 4.10 gears in the diffs from the original 3.73’s.

It’s fantastic to drive if you don’t mind buying a ton of gas, because it’s consistently getting 13mpg.
amazing, I'm planning on building my motor one day (5.7vortec) it gets worse mileage than that and it is completely stock though it gets 11-12 maybe 13 if I'm lucky and i drive it easy everywhere i go, i keep it under 2k rpm and i never haul anything I’m not sure what the deal is but oh well love the truck so I’ll deal with it