94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Okay so I went to drive the truck the other day, and it was a no go. Battery voltage was 2.5 volts.

Now if you recall I shared a picture of my voltage readings are completely different. So I figured out that my alternator wasn’t being “turned on” but the bulb is fine. So I’m still scratching my head at what the problem is.

So the only thing I could come up with is cleaning up the instrument cluster connections with rubbing alcohol and q tips, magically everything works again. This was definitely a weird thing that happened.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
This is the best $25 I have spent, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Seriously, if you are even remotely considering sealing up the leak at the filter adapter, just go ahead and bypass the stupid thing. I researched the two different styles, allen head or regular bolt head, and more people favored the allen head bolts to prevent leaks.

I am completely 100% stock as far as lift tire size etc, and yes I took pics for reference to share with y'all.

PICS:

You must be registered for see images attach

Parting with this leaking POS:

Back at the end of January I did this modification, and I wanna say that doing the stubby oil filter and going with the adapter that's for everything other than our trucks, was the best upgrade I've ever done.

I find no leaks, no blowing oil on everything under the sun etc. this is my five month review of something other than the stock leaky adapter, and by far one of the best modifications I've ever done.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. But take your time and plan it right, you will get it. Electrical wiring terrified me, but I studied and planned and attempted it, and mine turned out just fine.

Just going by my fan install what the fans NEED: battery power and ground (duh), switched 12v power with key on, temperature switch or probe, and an air conditioning activation point. You may find it easier to use a universal fan controller than to figure out how the Silverado used it.
Forgot to update you: got my fans installed and working a couple months ago. Made a cover plate for them last night so it looks a bit more finished.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Forgot to update you: got my fans installed and working a couple months ago. Made a cover plate for them last night so it looks a bit more finished.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That’s nice

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
So I swear it’s one thing after another with this truck, I encountered a fuel pump problem, like the kind that doesn’t put fuel in the engine. Definitely cranks and no start.

I just upgraded the fuel pump in September 2017, and it looks like it bit the dust. After I pull the bed, I will know more.

Stay tuned....

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Soooo, it wasn't the fuel pump. A field mouse decided to eat on one of my injector wires, which in turn grounded out against the air cleaner, blowing the ECM/INJ fuse.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have been busy this past week doing some body work including a color change. The results are night and day difference. I got my replacement Z71 stickers in the mail today, I will get them installed tomorrow, then I will post up the new pictures.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Okay, so as promised, I have pictures to present, prepare for the shocking difference.

body work needed in the drivers cab corner, filled with fiberglass filler and covered with bedliner material:

I decided after the filler section to line the rest of the truck (middle section):

Removed the fender flares and grille and lined them the same way:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Fresh paint: