94 K1500 Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a new lock ring for the fuel pump . 5 bucks at NAPA. The old one will likely be pretty crusty and beat up by the time you get it off and not worth the fight to get it back on. The top of the pump is sealed with some kind of thick grease. I used wax from a toilet bowl ring and it works.
You can lay a section of 2x4 across the spring and set your factory screw Jack on top of it to tilt the bed. The Jack will sit between the frame and the tire on top of the board.
If you take all of the bed bolts out, use a couple of ratchet straps from the passenger side of the bed to the drivers side frame.
When you tilt if far enough the bed will slide sideways and dent the back of the cab and the rear corner of the bed.
And make sure it's rock solid in place before ya stick your head under it.
It ain't fun but it beats the he'll out of dropping the tank

I will definitely add the locking ring. I wouldn't have thought of that.
I was reading that even though it's a pain I should drop the tank to clean it out. Is cleaning it out really that important?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only if it keeps plugging the filter. I carry a spare. They are easy to replace. I would check fuel pressure and replace the filter first.
If the pressure is within spec you need to look at idle air control and base timing
A new pump relay is also good insurance.
The cheapo relays are only rated for 15 amps.
NAPA has a relay made by Echlin that is rated for 30 amps and is less likely to burn out during extended cranking