94 GMC K1500. Planned 5.3 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayar66

Reaction score
First, sorry if this has been covered, I did try to search. Was planning on 5.3 swapping it a couple years ago but after driving my daughters 5.3 silverado which is optioned nearly identicle to my 94 I really wasnt as impressed as I thought I would be but my 94s 5.7 flexplate recently cracked so I need to pull the engine to change that so I might as well do the swap as I have everything needed in storage to do it.
Not my first LS swap as I recently finished one in my 77 Trans Am useing a terminatorX to run the engine so I do have a little experience on what's needed. But I have a feeling thats a simple swap compared to my 94. On this build I will use an 0411 PCM and also a LS style 4L60E. I have the ability to remove VATs and even do a little tuning myself useing PCM hammer or Tunerpro.

My biggest question is besides the engine what other items does the 94 computer run? Gauges? AC? Plan to keep my R4 compressor with a high mount bracket to put the compressor in a similar location as on my TBI 5.7. For the temp and OP gauge I think I just need adapters for the 5.7 sending units but not sure. Already have an EP381 fuelpump waiting to go in. I believe the speedometer will still be run by the VSS in my 94 241 transfer case but I think that signal goes through the computer so not sure where to pick up that signal for the speedo. Should be able to find a signal for the tach. I believe there is actually one wire in the 0411 that runs that.

Like I said. My biggest concern is the AC/heater wiring and if the gauges will need to be integrated with the computer. I don't believe the 94 has a BCM so that's one issue I don't need to worry about. Also planning on scouring through LT1swap again and see what I can find.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing runs through the PCM on the 94 gauge wise. You will need to rewire the VSS signal as it currently goes through the VSSB. I typically use a 3 wire 98 Camaro LS1 coolant temp sensor. 2 wires for the LS PCM and 1 for the factory gauge. You will need to rewire the ac to signal the PCM for ac request and I would suggest adding a clutch control relay to disable the clutch from enabling until the PCM has had time to adjust the idle for the ac load.