'94 front brake caliper rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you actually need all that stuff?

I re-use the pistons, both seals (I don't see the square-cut seal in your inventory), and the bolts/sleeves.

I could see replacing the rubber mounting bits--although I often don't. If the rubber is pliable, not torn or degraded, I'll generally re-use after cleaning and lube with caliper grease.
You must be registered for see images attach

IF (big IF) I pulled the caliper apart and found that the piston was rusted below the dust-seal groove, or had flaking/pitted chrome, or there was some actual problem with the seals or mounting hardware...sure, I might buy replacements for the defective parts. But at that point, getting a rebuilt caliper with a warranty is lookin' pretty good price-and-labor wise. Basically, if the caliper parts won't clean up for re-use, aside from the rubber mounting pieces, you're "probably" better-off to replace the caliper with a rebuilt.

This caliper cleaned-up and was put back into service:

Note that I don't bother to remove the dust seal from the caliper most times; then I don't need the special tool to reinstall it. Air pressure in the brake hose port inflates the dust boot over the piston for reassembly, the same way you'd blow the piston out to begin with.

The square-cut seal has to come out, though. Really easy. Nothin' to it. Scrape the crust off the rubber, verify no debris/rust/scale in the caliper seal groove, inspect the rubber for any sign of deterioration (cracking, mostly) then lube with brake fluid and reinstall.

Be careful removing the square-cut seal. I guess some (not all) of them are directional--there's a top and bottom. Keep track of which way it came out.

Note crust on rubber, scraped bare with fingernail, on right side.
I quoted the ac delco catalog, If it wasnt included then GM hates your calipers lol! The bleeder screws were there but they are all different based on RPO and and i didnt feel like posting 6 different pn lol

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that I don't bother to remove the dust seal from the caliper most times; then I don't need the special tool to reinstall it. Air pressure in the brake hose port inflates the dust boot over the piston for reassembly, the same way you'd blow the piston out to begin with.

^^^ Thanks

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '94 C1500 2wd. I need the 18K71X seals that AuroraGirl posted. When I blew the piston out, the piston made an indentation on the wood board! I installed new calipers & master cylinder last year. Already rebuilt the original master, so now rebuilding the original calipers for oem sake. Next will be rebuilding the original alternator, never done an alternator sooo that'll be interesting.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '94 C1500 2wd. I need the 18K71X seals that AuroraGirl posted. When I blew the piston out, the piston made an indentation on the wood board! I installed new calipers & master cylinder last year. Already rebuilt the original master, so now rebuilding the original calipers for oem sake. Next will be rebuilding the original alternator, never done an alternator sooo that'll be interesting.
If you REALLY want to keep a cs130 you can but I highly recommend going to a ad230 or cs130d (unless yours has one, I may be off on date)