94 cylinder heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckman98

Reaction score
im looking at getting a “used”( never used) intake manifold. I was told I have Vortec heads. I’m also changing to the Holley Sniper. My question is...do I have the Vortec heads?

Thanks,
Dave

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Not unless they've been swapped before u bought it. Vortec started in 95. 94 would still be the TBI heads but u can swap to vortec heads as long as ur using the tbi-vortec intake.

Truckman98

Reaction score
I’m not gonna be swapping any heads out yet. I just wanted to change my intake manifold to suit the new Holley Sniper but can’t find anything online. Thanks for the response.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im looking at getting a “used”( never used) intake manifold. I was told I have Vortec heads. I’m also changing to the Holley Sniper. My question is...do I have the Vortec heads?

Thanks,
Dave
Count your intake bolts. 12 is the "traditional" sbc. 8 is the vortec.

Bret

Reaction score
To add on to what everyone else said, the easiest way to tell will be head bolts. 350's from about 1987 to 1995 all had "swirl port"(sometimes called Vortex, NOT vortec). I believe the difference between pre and post 1987 is the angle of the inside intake bolts. If they go in straight up and down, engine is post-1987, at an angle, they are pre-1987. A VORTEC engine will only have 8 head bolts, vs the previous 12.
To Recap:
12 Bolts, At an Angle: Pre-1987
12 Bolts, Straight up-down: Post-1987(swirl Port)
8 Bolts: Vortec(Post-1996)

I believe this should be the type of intake manifold you're looking for assuming you have a 1994 350:
Edelbrock from Summit

Cheaper Jegs brand

Both these intakes also assume you are getting the 4 Barrel style Sniper. If you get the 2 barrel, you will either need a different style or an adapter plate. I encourage you double check that these intakes will work with your truck before you purchase them.
Also make sure you use thread sealer on the inside bolts, as they go into a water jacket and will likely leak if you do not.

Reaction score
To add on to what everyone else said, the easiest way to tell will be head bolts. 350's from about 1987 to 1995 all had "swirl port"(sometimes called Vortex, NOT vortec). I believe the difference between pre and post 1987 is the angle of the inside intake bolts. If they go in straight up and down, engine is post-1987, at an angle, they are pre-1987. A VORTEC engine will only have 8 head bolts, vs the previous 12.
To Recap:
12 Bolts, At an Angle: Pre-1987
12 Bolts, Straight up-down: Post-1987(swirl Port)
8 Bolts: Vortec(Post-1996)

I believe this should be the type of intake manifold you're looking for assuming you have a 1994 350:
Edelbrock from Summit

Cheaper Jegs brand

Both these intakes also assume you are getting the 4 Barrel style Sniper. If you get the 2 barrel, you will either need a different style or an adapter plate. I encourage you double check that these intakes will work with your truck before you purchase them.
Also make sure you use thread sealer on the inside bolts, as they go into a water jacket and will likely leak if you do not.
Intake manifold bolts. not head bolts.