94 Chevy C1500 power door lock breaker overheating.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Single_handed

Reaction score
Hope this is the right location for this, searched and couldn’t find anything.
I inherited a 1994 Chevy C1500 2 dr ext cab. pickup from my Grandfather who passed several weeks ago. It’s a 2wd, automatic, 4.3L v6 truck. My grandfather bought the truck new in 93, honestly, it isn’t a truck I’d give a second look at if I were shopping, being 1/2 ton, v6 and 2wd. But, It Has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me as my grandfather and I were very close. He was my best friend and we had great times in that pickup.
It’s in great shape but the power door locks haven’t worked for about 8 years or so. i pulled the actuator from the driver door and bench tested it to make certain it functioned. I couldn’t find a relay anywhere, as I assumed that was the culprit for the locks not functioning (no function, audible or mechanical when switches were pressed). nor could I find a dedicated fuse for the locks. However, there was a 30A breaker missing from the “BATT” slot in the fuse panel. I assumed “batt” was for the battery bus bar under the hood for accessories one may add. I.e. plow, lights, etc. so after about 5 hours of tearing apart doors, dash and underhood components and internet research I decided ”screw it” and slid a new 30a breaker into the slot. Presto! Door locks functioned perfectly. That was about 4 days ago and they have worked.

Yesterday, I ran to the parts store for lights bulbs and an oil change for it. When i left home the locks were fine, went to O’reilley and got a few things, then to autozone for things that o”Reilly didn’t have. When I went to lock the doors the lock switch was again dead. So, I pulled the fuse cover and touched the breaker. Hotter than two rats in a wool sock. So, there must be a short somewhere. In research this morning on a blazer site it’s common for the driver power seat harness to wear on the seat frame and ground out. But my truck does not have power seats or power mirrors. So, the problem must be a chaffed wire in the lock harness or whatever else might run on that circuit. Any ideas? any areas that are known to have issues with chaffing or an idea where to start looking? I’d really appreciate any help on where to start looking or pertinent diagrams. My Chiltons manual is just about only good for a drip pan, when I thought I remembered them being more helpful. Several hours later, after it had cooled, I returned the overheated 30a breaker to the slot and the locks functioned again. But I removed it again as I am not a fan of fire being anywhere other than inside combustion chambers, lol.

Thank you for any help.
respectfully,
Single_Handed

Single_handed

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's going to be a matter of researching where the harness goes and inspecting it until you find the issue.
I believe you are correct. Was just hoping that there may have been someone with similar issues that could point me in the right direction without a lot of scurrying about chasing leads and my tail.
thank you