94 c1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is not only my first gmt400, but my first ever vehicle of any sort. She's a '94 regular cab long bed 2wd. 4.3/4l60.

When I first bought it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Barely got above 45mph on the way home because it ran so poorly. So the obligatory plugs and wires change was done, this didn't help any.

So then the fuel pump was found guilty and relieved of duty:

After fixing a freeze plug that went on vacation while the truck was running and the distributor it ran pretty good.

Then, a mile from home, the transmission started leaking on the way to get the truck inspected....So that had to come out:

Replaced the front and rear seals and slapped it back in the truck.

That lasted not long at all. This time around it made it to the inspection place before it puked all of the fluid onto the parking lot....5 minutes from home...so my Dad towed me home:

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I needed the truck to run and didn't have time to get the trans rebuilt. So the replacement trans came from the junkyard:

How Roadkill is that?

This trans actually worked! (kinda) So for the first time since I had bought it about a month earlier I was able to drive it. And I loved it. But alas, the joy was short lived as white smoke began coming from the tail pipe. The intake gaskets were tried and convicted:

This did not fix the problem. Once it was all put back together the truck would not start for anything, no matter what I tried. And coolant was found in the oil again. I'm pretty sure my soul died a little that day.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck sat for a good while while I tried to figure out what to do. I had planned to pull the motor and replace the head/intake gaskets and any other gasket or seal I could get my hands on with the motor out and just be done with it.

Then God answered some prayers, because I was given a fully rebuilt and upgraded 355 sbc:

So I then had the original transmission rebuilt:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll also need to make some modifications if you put in a carbed engine with the old style HEI distributor in a 94. Things like a TPS to control your trans and program the PCM to run without MAP, IAC, ESC, etc.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nahh, just let the CEL stay on. Feed the computer TPS and tach and oil pressure switch. This should be all you need for the starting and fuel pump circuits unless I'm forgetting something.