94 5.3lm7 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94ecsb

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new user here. I’ve been reading through the forums for quite a while. Looking forward to learning more about the swap process.
I have a 94 Silverado extended cab. I am the second owner, my uncle got it brand new off of the showroom floor, spent most of its life down in Georgia. Needs paint really bad, but the frame is clean.

Long story short, I made the mistake of trusting the wrong person and attempted what I thought was an lq9 swap. Ended up with an old shot 5.3 not even bolted in, and not running. Pulled it out and junked it. At that point found that they had ground the frame to get the headers to fit properly.
Fast forward to present day, the frame is getting fixed early next week.

This weekend I am picking up a donor for an ls swap that my father and I will be doing.
04 5.3l with 65k original miles
4l60e auto 2wd transmission
Going to use the rear end to go 4 wheel disc on the 94. (Have to check the RPO codes, but I am hoping it has 3.73s)
My main question for the swap, is what should I be salvaging from the 04. We don’t have the space to keep the truck for the duration of the swap, my plan is to pull the motor trans and rear end so we can get the 04 out and finish the swap with the room that we need.
How much should I be pulling from the engine compartment of the donor? Do I need every coolant line? I don’t want to not pull something and then need it.
I got a great deal and got the donor for under $1300 so I want to maximize what I can use from it.

What aftermarket parts are a must?
I will get the ls swap motor brackets, dirty dingo ac bracket (re using the 04 system)
Do I need the aftermarket transmission crossmember?

I am not looking for crazy power, more of a weekend cruiser that has the power when I want it. The plan is a mild cam with headers, then paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2004" 5.3 came from an Avalanche with DBW. I converted to a cable throttle body because I am using an older ECM and it makes cruise control easy but if you want to keep DBW then make sure you get the pedal with it. Take the entire wiring harness and ECM and TAC module if there is one. Ground wires and battery cables may be useful. Don't forget the harness to the transmission. Grab the brake booster vacuum hose, the upper and lower radiator hoses may or may not fit. If the donor vehicle has electric fans grab them too. Keep us posted.

94ecsb

Reaction score
Definitely will post some pictures of the profess etc Appreciate the tips, I see people cut the pedal about 2” then weld it so it fits the 94, I think I will go that route.

94ecsb

Reaction score
So the donor is almost ready for the motor and tranny to get pulled. Have a few more things to disconnect then it is coming out.
Some questions that I have:

Donor fuel is return-less, do I have to run the corvette filter setup? Or since I have the whole truck can I pull the ‘04 gas lines etc and use them?

Has anyone stuck with the mechanical fan? The donor doesn’t have electric fans.

I want to have a/c, don’t have the compressor from the 94, do I use the one from the 2004 with the dirty dingo adapter?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
So the donor is almost ready for the motor and tranny to get pulled. Have a few more things to disconnect then it is coming out.
Some questions that I have:

Donor fuel is return-less, do I have to run the corvette filter setup? Or since I have the whole truck can I pull the ‘04 gas lines etc and use them?

Has anyone stuck with the mechanical fan? The donor doesn’t have electric fans.

I want to have a/c, don’t have the compressor from the 94, do I use the one from the 2004 with the dirty dingo adapter?
I used the corvette filter/regulator and ran all new braided lines and AN fittings. Works great.

I am using the clutch fan from the 04 Yukon mine came from - it fits perfectly in the factory location with factory obs fan shroud (see pic in my sig)

On my A/C, I used a sanden 4711 style and had 2 hoses made and used the dirty dingo bracket.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use return or returnless. But the pcm needs to have the tune setup for return if you use that.
Use the vette regulator/filter and your good to go.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

94ecsb

Reaction score
Got the motor and trans pulled yesterday. One manifold stud was already broken off, so have to address that. Otherwise all bolts came out really easily considering some rust.
Ordering the adapter plates and headers today. May hold off on a cam due to budget constraints.
OBS is patiently waiting for the new drivetrain.

94ecsb

Reaction score
Made some good progress this weekend, put in new spark plugs, Taylor wires, Schoenfeld swap headers. The power steering pump was bad, so replaced that, painted the block valve covers and some of the accessories.

I think “all” that’s left is the harness which I will get from psi, fuel lines ( have the regulator already) figure out the accelerator pedal and then fire it up.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll follow along. I'm doing pretty much same thing, 94 2wd ecsb swapping in a 04 tahoe 5.3 with the 4l60e at 80k miles. Only difference is my trucks a lifted 2wd.